New #9056 Comparator Has Higher FC Range (1-10PPM)

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Check out the news from Taylor

Anyone try this new comparator block yet? It could be a real boost to the TFPC Method by allowing for a higher range. Certainly it is NOT a replacement for the DPD-FAS test, but it would certainly make daily testing for those of us with SWG's and higher FC targets easier.

I'll look into ordering one.

....and a #6191 44mL SampleSizer....yay for more pool testing toys!!!

i have that one, it came with my 2005 (high) kit. it kinda leaves some gray area between 3 and 5 which annoys me, but my guesstimates are always within .5 of the FASDPD test.

i have that one, it came with my 2005 (high) kit. it kinda leaves some gray area between 3 and 5 which annoys me, but my guesstimates are always within .5 of the FASDPD test.

Yup. After reviewing the Taylor website I see that's part of their K2005 High test kit. I have a K-1001 that uses the R-0001 & R-0002 reagents along with the R-0003 from my K-2006 so I can just buy that comparator block and use it.

It's still a color comparator which is subjective. But I like the higher range colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. After reviewing the Taylor website I see that's part of their K2005 High test kit. I have a K-1001 that uses the R-0001 & R-0002 reagents along with the R-0003 from my K-2006 so I can just buy that comparator block and use it.

It's still a color comparator which is subjective. But I like the higher range colors.

i agree, i like the higher range for sure.

Anyone have procedures and reagents used for testing with this block? I got the block but not sure what reagents to use and how much.

pH uses the same 5 drops of R-0004 phenol red reagent.

FC/CC uses the R-0001, R-0002 and R-0003 reagents. If you have a K-1001 (DPD, not OTO) basic test kit, then the drop count and instructions are the same.

The DPD-FAS test is a different test procedure, so don't confuse it with the DPD-only basic test.

I have the TF-100 kit already. Bought this new block and I figured the chlorine reagents had to be different just based on the colors on the block. Just want a quick way to check chlorine without doing the DPD-FAS test.

Sorry, the TF-100 comes with the K-1000 basic test kit which is OTO based for chlorine. If you want a quick DPD (pink/magenta) test for chlorine, then you need to purchase the K-1001 Basic Test kit (available on Amazon for sure). Or, if you want, you can just purchase the Taylor R-0001 and R-0002 refill solutions (on Amazon) since you already have the R-0003 as part of the TF-100.

Leslie's sells the r-001 2 and 3. if you want it right now. i bought mine on a clearance sale along with a few others that I don't need. This was before I started with TFP. But I use those along with the Basic DPD that i bought for everyday testing.

Leslie's sells the r-001 2 and 3. if you want it right now. i bought mine on a clearance sale along with a few others that I don't need. This was before I started with TFP. But I use those along with the Basic DPD that i bought for everyday testing.

Good to know. Do they rebrand it as Leslie's brand or do they keep the Taylor brand name on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will have to check when I get home. I did just check their site and I don't see the 'kit' that I got on clearance. It had DPD ph CH refills, all in one package for like $9 The R-002 is slightly pink blush so it probably only good for this season.

I will have to check when I get home. I did just check their site and I don't see the 'kit' that I got on clearance. It had DPD ph CH refills, all in one package for like $9 The R-002 is slightly pink blush so it probably only good for this season.

The R-0002 sold by Taylor is in a brown, non-transparent dropper bottle because the reagent is light sensitive. If the stuff sold at Leslies is in a clear bottle, then, like most things, they're doing it wrong....

Mine is in a dark bottle. I have very good color vision and notice the color as the drop is forming. I would say it's about the shade of .2 CC when doing a FAS/DPD test.

Ok. Got it. I just used my R-0002 and it looked clear to me but I definitely don't have perfect color vision.

So, this uses the same reagents as the old DPD test (0-5 range), but just introduces a more extended range of colors on the color block?

Yes. The volume of the test solution is what determines how many shades you can see. Small volume means fewer shades. Larger volume gives more color discrimination.

just a follow-up. The refill kit I found on clearance at Leslie's are Taylor branded, not even Les's re-branded.

OK, cool. I may swing into Leslie's in my neck of the woods and buy a pool noodle as cover for some Taylor reagent reconnaissance ... I may wear a whig and fake nose to hide my identity :fro:

Can this 9056 block be bought as part of any small kit? I have the OTO kit from my TF-100 and have to keep high chlorine levels, so would like to switch it out with the 9056. From what I understand I would have to buy the 9056, R-0001, R-0002 and R-0004. Is that correct? Buying the K-2000 seems a little overkill.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.