Invited my friend's kids to swim with my kids, and then.....

Spades

Oct 3, 2014
Riverside, CA
Of course after, the kids nag & nag & nag him to buy a pool as well :) Days later he calls me up and asks about pools, costs, maintenance, etc :)... So he gets a 4000 gallon rectangular AG pool. He's got a lot more question now which i expect, and im more than willing to answer any and all. He's very intelligent and capable of reasearching his own, but meanwhile time is running with his newly filled pool, and i got him to a good start by telling him about pucks and CYA. I told him to read the labels of every chemical before applying. Well I guess I overwhelmed him with info (ounces, cups, lbs, gallons, PPMs, pH, CYA, alkalinity....) in such a short period of time that he pours the ENTIRE gallon of liquid chlorine in his half filled pool. So now even im in panic over the phone, I asked him why the whole gallon? And he thought that was what i said. I calculate his pool to be about 52 PPM of chlorine, so i told him to just wait out the chlorine not to swim in it yet and he says ok. I call him up 2 days later to check up on the pool and he says they just went swimming... Holy !@#$ I guess i didnt clarify how long to not swim in it, so i blame myself again!! Well this past weekend he invites us to go camping for the weekend, and im thinking in my head, you have a newly setup pool that you're still learning about, and after our hour long conversation about getting the pool water balanced you're going to leave for 3 days?? But then i also think with the sky-high chlorine it may be just fine. So what do you guys think? He is very mechnically inclined and internet savvy, and I have pointed him to this website, I dont know if he has visited yet...Anyway, just sharing a story because I feel guilty.

Sounds like your friend needs to read the Pool School and ABCs of water chemistry pages. Either way, he needs to do it on his own. As for the chlorine, if the 4000 gallon pool is full, and he dumped a gallon of regular 8.25% bleach in there, the Poolmath calculator shows it would go up to about 21 FC. Depending upon the CYA (stabilizer) level, that number may go down quite fast as well due to the sun. Not much else you can do at this point other than to say, "I told you to go to TFP." :)

Have a nice day.

He wont be adding any more water because of the height of his 3 year old, not this season at least. There is some stabilizer in there and i told him to target about 40, but im not there to test for him so i cant see for myself where it actually is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.