HTH pop up pool starter kit

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to pop up pools.
Growing up we always had an above ground pool that was very large so the smaller pop up pool I just bought for my best friends kids is really confusing me.
I purchased and filled the 12 Ft by 36" pool on Friday.

Saturday I tested with the test strips provided in the HTH pop up pool chemical starter kit. The chlorine was not registering anything and the PH as 8.4 the alkalinity was 180. I added PH minus using the conversion chart in the booklet in the starter kit. Volume is 1700 gallons so I added the amount the chart said. I also put my mini floating chlorine table holder in the water with mini 1" tablets.

I tested Sunday, chlorine: 0 PH: 7.8 Alkalinity: 120. From the starter kit directions, I needed to add stabilizer and chlorine granules. So I used the chart in the booklet and put in then I added the shock. I think the booklet said to use the amount for superchlorination because it was the first opening.
Today pool is cloudy but I believe I am supposed to test it and add more chlorine granules daily if needed to maintain 1-4ppm FAC. It wasn't clear so I wanted to ask before I do that or anything else that I have been doing this correctly.

My second question is when is the pool safe to enter after adding chlorine granules and shock. Do I just test and its safe if chlorine falls between 1-4ppm? When is it safe to enter after adding PH minus? As long as it tests in good range as well?

Thank you all so much! I am going to go out and test it for today and post those results. But I really need direction on where to go after testing!

Wait 30 minutes after adding any chemical is the general guidelines. If you thoroughly brush the pool manually after adding, you can likely use the pool as soon as you complete brushing.

This guide should be very helpful for you on the small pop-up pool: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for the link I appreciate your help. I already purchased shock, chlorinating granules and stabilizer to probably more than finish out the season here in northwestern PA, and it Is kind of a starter pool so I think I'd rather use the chemicals over the bleach method. There were lots of other great tips though!
I think I must be following Somewhat right because the pool reading changed.
Todays pool reading is 3 chlorine 7.8PH and 120 alkalinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.