1st Post, 1st Pool, 1st Month...

Dean85

Jul 20, 2015
Mountainside,NJ
I am very grateful that I found this site and the knowledgeable people and great information on it. After struggling with our PB for months we finally filled our pool with our hard city water three weeks ago. Our PB has been MIA so I have used this site to learn and take control of our new pool, which we love! I have been reading this site for many hours. Got my T-100 test kit a little over a week ago.

Listed below are my test results from yesterday morning. My initial test results on 7/16/15 were similar but FC was around 4, and CYA was 0. I added 6lbs of CYA 8-9 days ago after the first test.

7/19/15 Results
FC=7.0
CC=0.5
TC=7.5
PH=7.8
CYA=42 ish
TA=120 Added 4 lbs of baking soda a few days in when I messed up test using my Leslie Test Kit
CH=375 Hard city water ??
CSI=.51

Water has been clear. FC would drop faster prior to CYA, but seems to be dissipating less now. Have been adding Muriatic since PH creeps up.

I have a few questions:
1-How do these numbers look? Should I be concerned about TA and CH being at upper limits?
2-PB was suppose to install SWG. I am liking my current set up. Is it worth getting SWG? I see an advantage if we go away on vacation, but things are going well without it.
3-I have some equipment/piping questions but will ask them separately in the equipment section.

Thanks in advance for everyone's guidance!!

Some pics of the new pool and equipment below:

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Equipment.jpg
    Equipment.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 116
Nice looking setup!

I have a vinyl pool so I'll let the experts chime in on the CH in regards to your plaster pool.

In regards to the SWG, it is a benefit in terms of dosing chlorine for you. The TFP method requires daily addition of chlorine to maintain a healthy FC level. If you don't mind testing every morning or evening and adding liquid bleach then the SWG isn't going to provide a huge benefit for you. I like ours in that I can be reasonably assured that I'm always producing some chlorine (stuff happens and you cant always be there when you want to be), and I don't have to use Trichlor pucks on vacation which will elevate your CYA over time.

your CH is good, especially for a new pool you are fine. you don't want CH too low while its curing. numbers look great, the pH will keep rising quickly with a new pool since the plaster is curing/sealing.

I think the SWCG is the way to go if you can. makes maintenance so easy, and no lugging bleach around and having to dose everyday. I can miss a day or two without checking my pool since I have my SWCG zeroed in.

your TA is fine, but its not something you need to worry about. high TA will cause your pH to rise faster, but with the pool curing its going to rise fast anyway. when you lower your pH, lower it to 7.2. this constant rise/decrease will eventually reduce your TA and your pH rises will start to slow down. but like I said with a new pool, you are going to have to keep an eye on pH for the first year a lot anyway.

great looking setup

- - - Updated - - -

you can ask the equipment questions here too if you want. what is your question?

DaninFla...so my couple of other questions:
1-Heater is not on yet. Was told I need to wait a month after plastering so one more week. It is actually a Rheem heater. It has separate temperature settings for the pool and spa but there is only one pipe leaving the heater. This goes to a 3 way valve which then branches off to the spa and pool. I don't get how I can set the temperatures independently and then have one pipe out. Will I have to manually adjust the three way valve to let most return to go to spa if I just want to heat that. Something seems wrong. Can this control be automated?
2-My PB installed some equipment from different manufacturers than his quote such as:
-was suppose to get RS8 Jandy wireless PDA computer system for remote controls...he installed a Haward OmniLogic panel...I had read on line months ago that the Jandy system worked well...
-was suppose to get a Raypack rp 2100 heater and got a Rheem.
-was suppose to get a Polaris 280 cleaner and got a Goby GYP8 which is awful. Getting the Dolphin m500 tomorrow.
Are these downgrades from my quote or is it good equipment?
3-My plaster is Wet Edge Primera Stone. I got some staining a couple of days after pool fill. Not sure if it was from the water, or dirt getting into pool. Can they be fixed and should the PB be responsible?
thanks!

These guys have you taken care of! Your pool set up is beautiful! I do love my SWG. It gives me some assurance with a busy lifestyle, but I know a lot of people who do fine without one. If it was included in your quote and you've paid for it, then he needs to give it to you.

I can't answer the questions about equipment. All of our stuff is pentair, our PB must have gotten a kick back - teehee.

You've come to the right place for answers to your questions and we are glad to have you!

DaninFla...so my couple of other questions:
1-Heater is not on yet. Was told I need to wait a month after plastering so one more week. It is actually a Rheem heater. It has separate temperature settings for the pool and spa but there is only one pipe leaving the heater. This goes to a 3 way valve which then branches off to the spa and pool. I don't get how I can set the temperatures independently and then have one pipe out. Will I have to manually adjust the three way valve to let most return to go to spa if I just want to heat that. Something seems wrong. Can this control be automated?
2-My PB installed some equipment from different manufacturers than his quote such as:
-was suppose to get RS8 Jandy wireless PDA computer system for remote controls...he installed a Haward OmniLogic panel...I had read on line months ago that the Jandy system worked well...
-was suppose to get a Raypack rp 2100 heater and got a Rheem.
-was suppose to get a Polaris 280 cleaner and got a Goby GYP8 which is awful. Getting the Dolphin m500 tomorrow.
Are these downgrades from my quote or is it good equipment?
3-My plaster is Wet Edge Primera Stone. I got some staining a couple of days after pool fill. Not sure if it was from the water, or dirt getting into pool. Can they be fixed and should the PB be responsible?
thanks!

1 - that sounds right, sounds like you will have to manually change the valve to direct the hot water to either the Jacuzzi or the pool. that sounds like a pain. sorry, I don't have a heater so unsure how its usually plumbed, but with having an automation system, that does not sound correct.

2. I would do a quick internet search on the equipment and pricing. just make sure you use one website and compare prices. my hunch is that you will find the ones installed were cheaper. I sure hope you can get a discount. your PB doesn't sound like the best PB in the world, so would be surprised if he just threw in more expensive upgrades for free. I sure hope you don't have to pay out of pocket for the dolphin??

3 - post some pictures, but to answer your question, yes, any type of staining or issue is your PB's responsibility. they are typically responsible for maintaining the pool for the first month or so anyway. not true with your PB?

I sure hope you have some money left over and haven't made final payment to your PB yet. it sounds like you have a lot of issues and things to address with him. Did you pay for the Saltwater system and he never installed it??? that's like $2,500 between the controller, cell and all the salt for your pool

Your equipment should also be warranties for at least three years. This was our third full year and this spring, we had a booster pump replaced, the salt cell sensor replaced, and on automatic valve replaced. It was weird how everything messed up right before warranty, but we got it all fixed. Then another automatic valve went out, but we just found a good price on-line and my husband fixed it. We felt like the PB had more than done his part. [emoji6]

Good luck finding your answers!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I do owe my PB money so I should be ok settling up with him on any outstanding issues like equip, SWG, and cleaner...I really want to figure out how to control the hot water return to the hot tub with some kind of automatic valve...I will post a pic of my stains tomorrow...thanks again all...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if you have an automation system, it should control the valve electronically. sounds like they might have put in the wrong valve..definitely get that fixed.. make sure you are getting full price back on non-installed items. PB typically charge like $2,500 for the SWCG, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.