restarting a foreclosed pool

Jul 20, 2015
Wilmington NC
Hi Everyone,
My wife and I have recntly purchased a foreclosed home in Wilmingto NC. The home has been vacant for over 2 years and needless to say, the bank did not do anything with the pool. This is my first go arround with a pool, so I am am very green, like my pool!
The pool is a dark dark green. It's to the point that I have frogs in the pool. I have already scooped out a lot of pine needles/ leaves. The pump works, but I am not sure if the Aquarite chlorine generator works. I have a Hayward(sp?) Sand filter. There are 3 suction lines on the pump. 2 skimmers and I assume the other is at the bottom of the pool. there is a vinyl liner. Also, I am on a well, but there are iron stains on the fixtures and the water smells a little.

I am concerned about "clogging' the filter. I'm willing to bet that the sand is original from 1998. I don't want to drain the pool, as I am afraid of problems with the liner.

What should I do?

Thanks for all your help!

Ed

Hi, welcome to TFP! Continue to scoop out all the solids that you can. I wouldn't worry about the sand filter too much. Sand is millions of years old and it doesn't wear out. Just backwash the filter really well and make sure your pressure gauge works. Take note of the pressure after a backwash and backwash again when you see a 20% rise in pressure. You can also take the multiport valve off the filter and gently flush out the dirt by sticking a running water hose into sand bed in multiple spots. Be very careful not to break the laterals while your moving the hose around.

The next thing you need is a good test kit such as a TF 100 or Taylor K2006. A TF 100 with the XL option will give you more of the reagents you need to complete the SLAM process .

Take and post pictures, that will help us troubleshoot any problems that come up. Feel free to ask all the questions you need.

Steps to clearing pool:

1) Update your signature so we know the dimensions of and preferably gallons in your pool.

2) Order a recommended test kit as noted in the post above

3) Read Pool School and Chemistry 101 so you will understand some of the acronyms that are going to be thrown at you

4) Buy some Muratic Acid, Stabilizer (CYA) and 8.25% household bleach. Once we know size of pool we can help you determine how much.

5) Use pool math and select Trouble free pools at bottom for recommended levels and enter the size of your pool at top in Gallons. For CYA, enter 30, for FC, enter 12 and for PH enter 7.2.

6) While you are waiting on your test kit, if you have a pH kit or strips go ahead and get your pH reading. If not, take a water sample to your pool store. Ignore everything they tell you, just get a pH result. We don't normally recommend pool store testing, but they don't usually screw up pH too bad. Enter your pH result into pool math and add how much muratic acid it tells you (assuming your pH is high which it probably is). Use gloves and safety glasses when adding muratic. Pour it in front of the return slowly as the pump is running.

7) In pool Math, enter your current FC as 0. For CYA, it's tricky. Depends on what the previous owner used to treat pool, so we don't really know what your current CYA is. You don't want to overshoot on CYA because the only way to get rid of it is water drainage. So, for now let's hold off on CYA.

8) From now until your test kit arrives, add 1 gallon of bleach a day and keep your pump circulating 24/7. Scrub your pool to remove algae from the walls and bottom. Backwash your filter as needed as its going to start to clog with dead algae.

9) Once your kit arrives, test your CYA and enter # in pool math. Add the granulated stabilizer that pool math tells you (with that target of 30) in a nylon sock in front of a return. If your CYA is higher than 30 already, then report the # here and we will tell you how to adjust your chlorine to compensate.

10) You won't be able to test the result of CYA for a week so assume that what you added is correct. With 0 in current FC, put 12 as target for FC in pool math and add the amount of bleach it tells you. Be sure bleach is set at 8.25% if you are using Chlorox or walmart (unscented and not splashless). If using something else adjust the % as necessary.

11) For the next several days, test your FC as often as you can and keep the bleach at a level of 12 or higher. If you know you are going to be long times between testing then keep your FC elevated higher at 15 to 16. Brush twice a day if you can, and keep the filter backwashed if it clogs with dead algae.

12) Continue until your pool is sparkling clear and you pass the OCLT. Then let FC drop to normal levels and maintain with liquid bleach for the remainder of your pool season.

11705394_10205601130840605_677218302236959716_o.jpg

Ahhhhh the first day of pool ownership! I think I updated my signature but my internet is very slow. I have not moved in to the house yet but the pool is about 10' x20' (maybe bigger looking athe the pic) and goes from 3' to 8' in depth. I have had people I work with tell me to look in to phosphate treatment. Any thoughts?

take a picture of those steps and the deep end every day, this will give you a visual of how much it has changed.. it will be amazing :)

That is a NICE looking house and pool! The others have you covered on the to-dos. I just want to welcome you to TFP.

Do NOT ask anyone else how they keep their pool. You can ask them if they have ever heard of TFP. If they just look at you like you are crazy just smile and walk away LOL.

Most people use the pool stores and the pool stores are all about selling stuff so..........Yeah they will test for free BUT is really free if you have to buy x,y,z at $$$ cost????

Here at TFP we teach you how to take care of your own pool using stuff from Walmart and Lowes! How neat is that?????? and cheap too! LOL

For now find where you can get plain bleach the cheapest and it is easy to get to. Make sure it is fresh bleach (check date codes). Use store bleach like Greater value at Walmart to save you some money!

This is going to be fun to watch!

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we will help you clear your pool!

Here is a link to show you it CAN be done!

Recovering my old inspirational links

Kim

Welcome. Just a quick note on foreclosure-level filtering if you have trouble, from one once in your shoes ;) You can partly close your main drain line to pull more water from the skimmer when you first start filtering and avoid clogging the main drain with crud.

And like the folks said, leaf net out every bit of debris you can before starting your slam...that will help chlorine do its job faster instead of trying to eat leaves ;)

I may not be around the forum a lot this week as hubby is poosibly slated for surgery and we run a business, so there may be a time crunch...but I will check back in on you post-slam to see if you need help re: well and iron, both of which I also have ;)

Right now, just wait for your kit and keep scooping ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome!!! What a beautiful house and pool! Definitely be sure to take before and after pictures!

As mentioned, don't add any expensive pool chemicals. I've seen a couple of SLAMS messed up because of things people added (and I haven't been around long, teehee).

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned. When you buy your lots and lots of bleach, store it in a cool space, not in a hot garage. You want to save its strength!

Good luck and I can't wait to see this one transform!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I work on a ship and I am just getting my ducks in a row for the project. I anticipate starting August 3rd. My wife wants to use a service but I like a challenge and my $$

Work on a ship??? Wouldn't be the Diligence would it?? Anyway i used to be stationed in Oak Island about 45 minutes south of Wilmington and i'm originally from NC, so if you have any questions about the area i'm glad to help.

Anyway, definately listen to these people on here. They are a God-send. I rented a house in Philly that came with a pool and i was clueless. I was pointed to this forum from another forum I am apart of, and I am so glad they did. The previous owner didn't take care of the pool properly and i opened to a messy pool (obviously no where near yours) and in exactly a week I was swimming. The test kit is KEY. I would suggest the speed stir also because i'm not coordinated enough to swirl and drop and count. Plus it makes you feel like a mad scientist.

Don't hire a service. especially once the pool gets clear you're wife can handle it while you are gone. My wife knows how to test for FC and CC and PH and with the magnetic speed-stir its super easy for her, even with an 18month old running around.

My morning routine consists of 3 minutes of testing and maybe a minute of chemicals (bleach and muriatic acid if needed) and then maybe a skim if something is floating. all in all 10 minutes before work.

Opening day

1 Week progress

Welcome!!!!

My USCG days are over. I was on the Mohawk out of Key west for 3.5 years in the late 90s. It was prettty awesome duty, Caribbean and South America. My neighbor who just sold his house was the Captain of the Diligence. Now I work in Oil and Gas on a drillship in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've been looking at time line of other pools that look like mine and now I'n leaning towards partially draining the pool. I'm on a well and there is a city water hook up that I can tap into. any thoughts? How far can I drain the pools without worrying about the liner. Keep in mind that the pools goes from 3'-8' in depth. I would like to be able to get in and scrub the wall a bit.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.