My SLAM

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Well, most who read my posts know I use a Stenner Pump to chlorinate. Well, it can't protect you from yourself.

I'm in the middle,of a SLAM right now, but it's my fault - not the pump. It has an on/off switch. Most of the time when we swim at night after the pump has shut off I will turn the pump back on and just leave the Stenner running to compensate for the bather load. But, sometimes I turn the pump off for these after hours swims. A few weeks ago I turned it off for one of these swims and I Forgot to turn it back on - unfortunately it was the night before we headed out for a four day weekend. When we came home I discovered we had four days of 100 degree weather and no chlorine additions. The water was clear, so I just brought it up to target and let it go. But, for the past few weeks my chlorine demand has been slowly going up. Sparkly clear water, no or .5 CC. I finally did an OCLT Thursday night and I guess you know the rest.

Friday I visited Ollies and stocked up on 10% and began my SLAM. Saturday morning I checked and had lost 2.5 overnight. Brushing, testing and adding all day. Saturday evening a wicked storm blew through and when I woke up it looked like there was a tree in the bottom of the pool because of all of the leaves.

I spent Sunday cleaning out the pool, testing and brushing.

This morning I got up early to test and it's wonderful, I passed OCLT. So my mistake cost me about 12 gallons of 10%, a weekend of work and a bunch of FAS-DPD reagents.

the stenner pump you have to manually start and stop while the liquidator runs while pump runs l right? Trying to figure out which way to go for next season.

It is a good feeling to know what to do IF the need arises. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

the stenner pump you have to manually start and stop while the liquidator runs while pump runs l right? Trying to figure out which way to go for next season.

It is a good feeling to know what to do IF the need arises. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
no, the Stenner will run automatically, but it does have a manual on/off switch. Normally I just leave it on all the time, so when the pool pump is running the Stenner is running. I have mine tired to my pool pump timer but some add a second timer for shorter injection times.

Even the Liquadator has a way to stop,the chlorine flow. They can't protect you from yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

At least you got it under control quickly.
correct. I I didn't pay attention to how much/often I top,off the Stenner tank I would not have noticed the increased chlorine demand. My pool normally consumes right in the neighborhood of 2 quarts of chlorine a day. While it has been very sunny/hot here I knew I had a problem when I was up to 3 quarts a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.