endoscopy of skimmer lines through camera

Jun 22, 2015
sassari
Hello all, I've got to check two skimmers lines, at the moment the proprietors closed those skimmers as someone in the past (years) suggested to do it so as they were not working properly. Causes were never investigated, maybe they told them that the line tubes were cracked but really that was only an hypotesis, last week those skimmers were turned on again in error and lasted on for one week, the pool didn't lose water but the skimmers do not suck anything. I believe they could be badly clogged or something. So I got an idea, I bought this camera off ebay , I want to insert it in the lines so to inspect the tubes from the inside.
What do you think?

Sounds like a good plan. The most common issues I've seen with skimmers besides cracks and leaks is collapsed flex pvc plumbing. If the line is clogged try a drain king or plumbing snake to clear it.

You mean the pucks create that kind of damage? in PVC tubes? At the moment they are putting them in the two working skimmers.

YES! When the pump isn't running the pucks dissolve creating a high concentration of chlorine. Then when the pump is turned on, the pvc is exposed to that concentrated chlorine which over time leads to this damage. I speak from personal experience - before finding TFP :(

Get those pucks out of the skimmer! If you run the pump 24/7 they could be used, but that's just a waste of power. The problems arise when the pucks are dissolving in a stagnant skimmer.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well, I do not know if it is a common problem for those who use pucks in the skimmer, but I can guess as to the reason so many do: in my pool manual from the manufacturer it in fact says it in B&W that the skimmers are designed for placing chlorine tabs in them and it is absolutely normal to do so and won't result in any damage.

My SIL's intake and outlet hoses cracked after 2 years due to her using the tabs in the skimmer. They are still there, so I ma guessing it's almost time for the second set of hoses to go. She thinks I'M the crazy one, lol.

Huh. I just had a guy come over who said I should switch from liquid 12.5% to tablets, because it's better on the equipment and liner. Guess not so much?

Definitely not so much. You can do the same damage with 12.5% bleach if you pour it directly into the skimmer with the pump off and leave it that way for hours, which is essentially what happens when you leave a puck in a stagnant skimmer. However, if you add 12.5% as recommended (SLOWLY in front of a return with the pump on) and be as fussy as me and actually brush the bottom of the pool after adding bleach, there's zero risk of damaging pool surface or equipment.

However, if you add 12.5% as recommended (SLOWLY in front of a return with the pump on) and be as fussy as me and actually brush the bottom of the pool after adding bleach, there's zero risk of damaging pool surface or equipment.
I hadn't thought of brushing the pool afterward. I don't brush very often, as I vacuum at least once if not twice a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.