Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: endoscopy of skimmer lines through camera

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb endoscopy of skimmer lines through camera

Hello all, I've got to check two skimmers lines, at the moment the proprietors closed those skimmers as someone in the past (years) suggested to do it so as they were not working properly. Causes were never investigated, maybe they told them that the line tubes were cracked but really that was only an hypotesis, last week those skimmers were turned on again in error and lasted on for one week, the pool didn't lose water but the skimmers do not suck anything. I believe they could be badly clogged or something. So I got an idea, I bought this camera off ebay , I want to insert it in the lines so to inspect the tubes from the inside.
    What do you think?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: endoscopy of skimmer lines through camera

I think if it works, you'll be receiving requests from many other TFP members to come troubleshoot their plumbing. I hope it works for you, and definitely keep us posted. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a good plan. The most common issues I've seen with skimmers besides cracks and leaks is collapsed flex pvc plumbing. If the line is clogged try a drain king or plumbing snake to clear it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

If the pool had pucks in the skimmers you may also encounter this kind of damage:
    Skimmer plumbing pipe damaged from placing chlorine tabs in the skimmer leaf basket.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Ewww, another reason to hate the puck!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swoopman View Post
    If the pool had pucks in the skimmers you may also encounter this kind of damage:
    Skimmer plumbing pipe damaged from placing chlorine tabs in the skimmer leaf basket.
    That album is a great "why not to put tablets in the skimmer" testimony.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Curious, if you go from the skimmer to the pump basket for an endoscopy, then later if you go from the other direction does it make it a colonoscopy? Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

You mean the pucks create that kind of damage? in PVC tubes? At the moment they are putting them in the two working skimmers.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chrizx74 View Post
    You mean the pucks create that kind of damage? in PVC tubes? At the moment they are putting them in the two working skimmers.
    YES! When the pump isn't running the pucks dissolve creating a high concentration of chlorine. Then when the pump is turned on, the pvc is exposed to that concentrated chlorine which over time leads to this damage. I speak from personal experience - before finding TFP
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Get those pucks out of the skimmer! If you run the pump 24/7 they could be used, but that's just a waste of power. The problems arise when the pucks are dissolving in a stagnant skimmer.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

11. Back To Top    #11

well, I do not know if it is a common problem for those who use pucks in the skimmer, but I can guess as to the reason so many do: in my pool manual from the manufacturer it in fact says it in B&W that the skimmers are designed for placing chlorine tabs in them and it is absolutely normal to do so and won't result in any damage.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

12. Back To Top    #12

YES! When the pump isn't running the pucks dissolve creating a high concentration of chlorine. Then when the pump is turned on, the pvc is exposed to that concentrated chlorine which over time leads to this damage. I speak from personal experience - before finding TFP
    So one shouldn't stop the pump until the puck is completely dissolved.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chrizx74 View Post
    So one shouldn't stop the pump until the puck is completely dissolved.
    So run pump 24/7? Once it's dissolved there is no longer chlorine being added to the pool.
    TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Just get one of the floating baskets and put a puck in it. See how many seasons you have your floating basket. They "rot" out even though they are constantly in the water.

15. Back To Top    #15

Mistery solved. There' s a completely broken tube under one skimmer. It's divided in two completely.

16. Back To Top    #16

Did you use the camera to find that?
    If so, how did it work?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Huh. I just had a guy come over who said I should switch from liquid 12.5% to tablets, because it's better on the equipment and liner. Guess not so much?
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

My SIL's intake and outlet hoses cracked after 2 years due to her using the tabs in the skimmer. They are still there, so I ma guessing it's almost time for the second set of hoses to go. She thinks I'M the crazy one, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MitchRyan912 View Post
    Huh. I just had a guy come over who said I should switch from liquid 12.5% to tablets, because it's better on the equipment and liner. Guess not so much?
    Definitely not so much. You can do the same damage with 12.5% bleach if you pour it directly into the skimmer with the pump off and leave it that way for hours, which is essentially what happens when you leave a puck in a stagnant skimmer. However, if you add 12.5% as recommended (SLOWLY in front of a return with the pump on) and be as fussy as me and actually brush the bottom of the pool after adding bleach, there's zero risk of damaging pool surface or equipment.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    However, if you add 12.5% as recommended (SLOWLY in front of a return with the pump on) and be as fussy as me and actually brush the bottom of the pool after adding bleach, there's zero risk of damaging pool surface or equipment.
    I hadn't thought of brushing the pool afterward. I don't brush very often, as I vacuum at least once if not twice a week.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast