Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Walmart Great Value Bleach doesn't smell right.

1. Back To Top    #1

My Walmart Great Value Bleach doesn't smell right.

Has anybody experienced this? I just bought 8 bottles. It does NOT say on the label anything about being scented, yet, it smells wrong. It smells "nice." I just did some cleaning with bleach from the laundry room earlier today and that stuff smelled "right," like bleach. Then I went to add bleach to the pool tonight and my latest stock of pool bleach smells fancy.

I am reading the label over and over (oh, and I opened two bottles and they both seem scented). It is a blue label. Says Great Value Bleach. There is a subscript numeral "1" after the word bleach. Other than that it doesn't say much. Kills germs. Concentrated.

There is already a bottle of this new stock in the pool, but I don't want to build up a ton of scent. I'm gonna use the rest of the laundry room bleach tonight even though it's older and there's not really enough. Then I'll find some bleach that smells like bleach in the morning.

But I'd love to hear what others think of this. I hope they haven't started scenting all their bleach. Incidentally, I bought this stuff on Friday, 7/17, at the Walmart in Hamburg, PA. So if anybody else buys there, beware!
    AG 28700 gal (21x41 oval 4-6 feet deep)
    Pentair Warrior 88 DE filter/Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed pump
    Testing w TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Walmart Great Value Bleach doesn't smell right.

Does your Walmart have a pool section? Ours here in Arizona has HTH liquid chlorinater 10% CL for two gallons for $6.49. Eliminates worry about scented or splashless bleach
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

3. Back To Top    #3

I used several jugs last week and noticed nothing unusual
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I have had that happen once with a different brand. I would suspect that it was a mixup on the production line.

Is the percentage of sodium hypochlorite on the label?

5. Back To Top    #5

Wildcat, this Walmart has a tiny pool section, usually sold out of anything useful, and they mostly stock the tablets. But I will check the other two nearby Walmarts based on your advice. I like the stronger stuff when I can get it at a decent price.

James, it says 8.25%, but there's a blurb under that to note that it yields 7.86% available chlorine. I don't recall seeing anything like that on previous bleach I've purchased.
    AG 28700 gal (21x41 oval 4-6 feet deep)
    Pentair Warrior 88 DE filter/Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed pump
    Testing w TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

If it doesn't smell right, I would return it and get something different.