Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More is less with solar heat?

1. Back To Top    #1

More is less with solar heat?

I have an Intex Easy Set 12'x30" AGP and 1x Intex Solar Heater Mat (model no. 28685E). I have the 1,000 GPH Intex pump.

Right now, it appears to give some improvement to the temperature of the water, but would two of these mats in a series essentially double the results I'm currently getting? For the most part, I get in the low to mid eighties on a very sunny, warm day, and my pool temp usually starts its day around 830, 9am at 77 degrees F.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More is less with solar heat?

You would notice a difference, but not double the results.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, more panels/mats will give you more heat.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    You would notice a difference, but not double the results.
    Do I need a superior pump (currently 1,000 GPH cartridge filter pump) to see better results?
    Intex Easy Set 12'x30" AGP, Intex Krystal Clear 637R pump, Intex Solar Heater Mat

5. Back To Top    #5

The rule of thumb is that you should have solar panels equivalent to at least 50% of the surface area of the pool. Parallel is better than serial, more flow and less strain on the pump.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
    The rule of thumb is that you should have solar panels equivalent to at least 50% of the surface area of the pool. Parallel is better than serial, more flow and less strain on the pump.
    The pool filters will be side by side, connected by a short length of hose and appropriate clamps. Is my pump sufficient?
    Intex Easy Set 12'x30" AGP, Intex Krystal Clear 637R pump, Intex Solar Heater Mat

7. Back To Top    #7

Hard to tell, depends on a lot of factors like height above ground, lenght/size of pipes etc. Give it a try and see what kind of flow you get! The Intex solar mats have a built in bypass valve so you can regulate flow/reduce pump strain, but of course, the less water you send through the mats, the less heat picked up from the sun.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mickelin View Post
    Hard to tell, depends on a lot of factors like height above ground, lenght/size of pipes etc. Give it a try and see what kind of flow you get! The Intex solar mats have a built in bypass valve so you can regulate flow/reduce pump strain, but of course, the less water you send through the mats, the less heat picked up from the sun.
    Based purely on feel, when the water passes through the mat, it's brutal weak.