Pump makes buzzing sound then cuts out

RickyEarl

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Wondering if someone could diagnose the problem with my waterfall pump. It's really old - sticker is unreadable, so I can't even tell what brand it is. Works just like the pool pump, with an intake at the bottom of the pool and a strainer basket. Impeller even looks identical.

It was working fine yesterday - no issues, no noises, nothing.

Today when I turned it on, however, it just buzzed then cut out. After it cuts out, it's non-responsive and totally silent when I turn it on.

After 2-3 minutes I hear a click. After the click, when I turn it on, it will buzz again and then cut out. Rinse and repeat.

Impeller spins just fine with fingers. No leaves or anything in the blades.

Sounds like a capacitor or, because of the reset "click," maybe a relay? How do I confirm that? Back end of the pump has a metal cap that doesn't seem to have a way in - no bolts or anything attaching it other than the ground screw and the electrical in. Does that mean it's friction fitted? Don't want to tear it up trying to get in there.

Thanks!

Yes, secure the power before working on it, flipping the breaker is a wise thing to do.

Buzzing and then the thermal cutout trips. I think your motor capacitor died. The start capacitor is critical to motor operation, and when it dies, it will usually prevent the motor from working, even if the rotor spins freely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.