Outdoor Amplifier and Speaker Questions

Ctxman

Jul 9, 2014
Thousand Oaks CA
Hello,
I've read through a few posts here about outdoor speakers but I still have some questions I'm hoping you can answer. When it comes to music systems I'm a novice. I'm primarily interested in bluetooth streaming and not so interested in a receiver. I have a backyard pool but also a side patio with a waterfall and stream that runs through it and the side yard is my main focus, although i may add another pair of patio speakers later on. I'm thinking rock speakers (questions to follow) or Omni but will probably go with rock speakers

So, first questions are in regards to amplifiers. I've seen the post where someone used a small amplifier with bluetooth receiver in an outdoor box and I'm interested in doing something similar. I'm curious about the amp wattage and what I would need for background music levels (nothing too loud) and want enough power for this type of setup. I've seen some devices that have the amp/bluetooth built in which I like. However some of these are only rated at 15w per channel so is this enough power to drive speakers? Here's one that's in wall MCM Custom Audio In Wall Volume Control with 15W X 2CH Amplifier and Bluetooth Receiver | 50-14825 (5014825) | MCM Custom Audio

Here is another that says 30 watt Compact 30 Watt Amplifier with Bluetooth Receiver | 50-14845 (5014845) | Distributed By MCM

And here's one i really like that is 50 watt Pyle Compact Stereo Power Amplifier 50W, Bluetooth, USB, 3.5mm Input | PCA12BT | Pyle

Are any/all of these powerful enough for background outdoor music?

In regards to speakers, I'm considering the following speakers and would like your opinions based on your experience with them.

Monoprice - 8 Inches 2-Way Coaxial Waterproof Rock Speakers (Pair) - 45W Nominal, 100W Max /w PEI Dome tweeter with FerroFluid - Monoprice.com

BestBuy Insignia - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-simulated-rock-outdoor-speakers-pair-gray/8278124.p?id=1171058476697&skuId=8278124&st=outdoor%20speakers&cp=1&lp=2

Outdoor Speaker Depot - Outdoor Rock Speaker OSD Audio RS850

And then there is always the TIC speakers but I'm not sure I need Omni Amazon.com: TIC GS-3 150-Watt Outdoor In-Ground Speaker: Electronics

I plan to use outdoor lighting low voltage wiring and the longest run will probably be 75 to 100 feet.

Help is appreciate thank you.

I am right now building out my pergola that will have our speakers.

I decided to use the Polk Atrium 4 speakers - and I am running the wire down to a double gang waterproof box - where I will put the first item on your list. I have no idea how it will work, but think that the 30 watts total will be more than enough power for our location. If I had a large outdoor space - and no neighbors right on top of us, then I might have looked into a more powerful system.

I should know how it works in a week or two...

Bose makes a large, portable Bluetooth dock. Easy easy, no wires, and sounds good. I think it's 15x2 watts, maybe bigger. MTX also has one, as does kicker. Yes, they take up some table space, but you aren't goofing around with wiring. Connect and go with Bluetooth from your phone and your off and running. I think Costco has the kicker model for like $100, which is going to be cheaper than an amp, BT receiver, and external speakers.

SantaCruz - I look forward to hearing how the amp works out for you thanks.

Brett - I kind of would prefer to run wires and do a one time install for a permanent setup rather than doing the portable thing but thanks for the info.

Martinkennedy - those look like awesome speakers but for my use I can't justify the cost. I'd prefer to spend $300 for two speakers rather than each price. Thanks for the info.

Still looking for suggestions on decent outdoor rock speakers.

Thanks all!

I had gone down the same path as you a year or so ago.

In the end I just didn't have enough money to commit to doing what I wanted.

I was surprised that aren't more outdoor amplifiers. However I think the small amps you linked with only 30w or 50w won't be strong enough. I obviously don't know your setup or size but just my two cents. I would search for marine amplifiers and put that in a box. JL makes a really nice one for about $150 with Bluetooth obviously.

JL Audio Refurbished M2250-B Marine 2-channel Class-AB Full-Range Amplifier - Creative Audio

I did buy the the insignia rock speakers and to be honest they are awesome for the price.
I never bought the outdoor amp I just ran speaker cable to the rock speakers from inside. Ended up selling them because I couldn't fully commit to the full setup at this time it was too costly. Good luck.

I am a neb to the forum, and this is my first post.

I have installed many home/ whole home audio systems. If you are trying to use the small amps, where are you getting power from for the amp? Outside GFCI?

The small Bluetooth amps for motorcycles and a 12V power source work well for small hidden systems with small outdoor speakers/rock speakers/marine speakers in a box. With RF remotes/Bluetooth/network controlled amps you can control a indoor amp from the backyard. Sound quality is only limited by your budget.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.