Please Help! Pool levels perfect, pool still green.

Jul 19, 2015
Lake Charles
Im not 100% new to pools, I have had some stay great for the whole year, not this one...

I have an Intec Pro Series with the normal cartridge filter and small pump under it. Pool is about 6000 gallons. Went to the 2 pool stores, bith gave me exact same results. Water levels were perfect. Spot on... Why is my pool still green. 2 days ago I started shocking... Again... Out one 1lb bag in at night, woke up, put another 1 lb bag. Water is not doing much at all. Maybe a little lighter bit I have never had to do this with my old pool. My old pool was a 20x 40 in ground that sat for 6 years, pulled logs and hundreds of pounds of leaves and I got it beautiful in a month. We did go on vacation gor 2 weeks and there was algae atthe bottom. Shouldve vacuumed bit i just turned it on and went with shocking. Should I buy a sand filter and pump? I dont want to because this is a 200 dollar used pool lol. Please help!!! What to do?

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

The only way to balance the water in your pool is with a GOOD test kit. Here are some, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Pool is green because there is not enough chlorine in the pool relative to the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. That is the only reason algae grows. And the only way to kill it for good is to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.

Read this and tell us about your pool, Pool School - Getting Started

Pooldv already hooked you up with perfect advise, and a link to the foundation of TFPC - the proper test kit. I have the TF-100 (with speed stir) and love it. Can't live without it. I highly encourage it for you as well, and hope to see your OWN test results posted soon. Have a nice evening.

Welcome to the forum Greg :wave:

Please add you pool info to your signature as outlined here - > Pool School - Getting Started

As above, the FC level is too low for whatever CYA level you have. That's the only way you grow algae.
With a proper kit we can get your SLAM started and then hopefully have you good for year after year.

Can you please post those pool store numbers ?? We don't trust them but it might be interesting to see what they came up with on your green monster. :testresults:

The solution is always more bleach. You're both in need of following the SLAM procedure in my signature. SLAM is Shock Level And Maintain. It's a process, not a one time magic bullet to cure your ills. It's like taking all of your medication, not just for the first few days then throwing it away when you start to feel better. Finish the prescription! It's a specific process that requires accurate home testing and diligence by the pool owner. Spending some additional time in the articles in Pool School will help as well.

Im not 100% new to pools, I have had some stay great for the whole year, not this one...

I have an Intec Pro Series with the normal cartridge filter and small pump under it. Pool is about 6000 gallons. Went to the 2 pool stores, bith gave me exact same results. Water levels were perfect. Spot on... Why is my pool still green. 2 days ago I started shocking... Again... Out one 1lb bag in at night, woke up, put another 1 lb bag. Water is not doing much at all. Maybe a little lighter bit I have never had to do this with my old pool. My old pool was a 20x 40 in ground that sat for 6 years, pulled logs and hundreds of pounds of leaves and I got it beautiful in a month. We did go on vacation gor 2 weeks and there was algae atthe bottom. Shouldve vacuumed bit i just turned it on and went with shocking. Should I buy a sand filter and pump? I dont want to because this is a 200 dollar used pool lol. Please help!!! What to do?
Welcome to the forum.

You've gotten some great advice so far, it would be in your best interest to follow it :)

You see, the problem with pool stores is that their idea of "perfect" levels are very far from the proper sanitation levels for your pool.

Has anyone there at the pool store taken the time to explain what the proper level of Free Chlorine relative to your CYA (stabilizer) level means for the health of your pool and everyone who uses it?

As requested, can you supply the results the pool store got?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.