Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Recommendation on upgrades

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Recommendation on upgrades

    So after reading a post by peacefulkancer about water clarity not being about your filter but water chemistry it got me rethinking my upgrade I'm fixing to do by replacing my Triton II 140c sand filter with a FNS plus 60 DE filter. My pool tends to get a lot of dirt which is my reason for changing over but now I'm worried its going to clog up all the time and do I even need it after reading the post.

    What do you guys think about the filter I currently have versus switching to the FNS plus 60 DE filter? I have someone who agreed to buy my 140c for $400 and its about 8 years old.

    I'm also thinking of changing my 2HP main pump motor to a 3HP Pentair VSP motor to save electricity.

    Im attaching some pics of my current setup. My sig has all the other relevant info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Divin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Longview, Texas
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    There is nothing wrong with your sand filter. You can actually improve its filtering ability to filter smalller particles by adding a little bit of DE into the skimmer. Maybe 1 cup. Put a cup in, and wait a couple hours. The goal is to add enough so that your filter pressure rises by 1psi.

    The VS pump will definitley save on some electricity, but unless your electric rate is +.20 KWH, you may not recover the investiment in the pump purely by energy savings. If your reason for changing pumps is purely for saving electricity, a 2 speed pump may be a better alternative if your electric is less than 20 cents KWH.

    Having said that, the VSP does have a lot of features that are very attractive. I have cheap electric and a VSP, and would replace the VSP tomorrow if someone stole it in the middle of the night!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    I don't think Dave read your signature.

    Anyway -- Your sand filter is not the problem -- you can get a beautiful pool with a sand filter -- add a little DE and it gets better.

    Im not the pump guy around here but you have three pumps. I suspect you could go down to a single 1.5 hp vs pump and do everything. You may or may not save money -- but I don't think you need the 2 hp pump unless you are moving a huge amount of water. You should be able to Run the descent, run the jets, filter the pool -- and if you replaced the Polaris 260 with a Polris 360 the pool sweep too with a smaller pump -- you may not be able to do it all at the same time. If you want to make the investment in a robot cleaner -- a robot would do an even better job.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Yeah that's what I was afraid I'd hear that I bought a DE filter for nothing now I have to sell it.

    I tried the DE in sand before but the pressure would spike every time and had to backwash it out.

    I'll have to lookup my electric rates, last winter it iced for two weeks straight and my electric bill was $800.

    I'm going to invest in a test kit and try it myself again, I use pool store now but they are honest, not a chain store.


    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad kimkats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    26,678

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    With the DE in a sand filter you have to find what YOUR filter likes. Mine like about 3/4 a cup. One person's likes just 1/4 cup another likes 2 whole cups! It is playing with it 1/4 cup at a time and see how much it can handle on a day to day bases.

    I LOVE my sand filter------so easy and cheap to take care of! Easier than cartridge, cheaper than DE.

    You will LOVE having your own test kit. It is SO easy. You can test anything you want. No having to wait until you are heading out or making special trips to get a test done. At least you have someone you can trust to test it. I am not so lucky

    Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Buy one of these fancy pressure gauges for 11 bucks and when adding DE to your sand filter try only adding enough to raise the pressure by 1/2 to 1 psi.

    TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    With the DE in a sand filter you have to find what YOUR filter likes. Mine like about 3/4 a cup. One person's likes just 1/4 cup another likes 2 whole cups! It is playing with it 1/4 cup at a time and see how much it can handle on a day to day bases.

    I LOVE my sand filter------so easy and cheap to take care of! Easier than cartridge, cheaper than DE.

    You will LOVE having your own test kit. It is SO easy. You can test anything you want. No having to wait until you are heading out or making special trips to get a test done. At least you have someone you can trust to test it. I am not so lucky

    Kim

    Hi Kim,

    Do you mix yours first or just pour straight in? I dont think ive tried mixing it first so maybe thats the problem.

    I couldnt find the t-100 kit on amazon, my goto store Is that the one you use? Stupid me I made up my mind I was never going to test myself and threw out the kit that was left here by the previous owner. Everything was probably expired anyway im telling myself so i feel better lol.
    Last edited by drpepper68; 07-20-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: multiple posts in one post
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Buy one of these fancy pressure gauges for 11 bucks and when adding DE to your sand filter try only adding enough to raise the pressure by 1/2 to 1 psi.

    TFTestkits.net
    Going to try posting my from phone, Mac kept posting them all in one post.

    My filter has a pressure gauge on top so I'll try mixing the DE first then pouring it in.


    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    So since I already bought the DE and can sell the other one for $400 should I sill switch it out? I know DE will give me cleaner water. I'm going to see if I can return on amazon but if not I dont want to be stuck with both.
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your sand filter. You can actually improve its filtering ability to filter smalller particles by adding a little bit of DE into the skimmer. Maybe 1 cup. Put a cup in, and wait a couple hours. The goal is to add enough so that your filter pressure rises by 1psi.

    The VS pump will definitley save on some electricity, but unless your electric rate is +.20 KWH, you may not recover the investiment in the pump purely by energy savings. If your reason for changing pumps is purely for saving electricity, a 2 speed pump may be a better alternative if your electric is less than 20 cents KWH.

    Having said that, the VSP does have a lot of features that are very attractive. I have cheap electric and a VSP, and would replace the VSP tomorrow if someone stole it in the middle of the night!

    My electric is 10 cents KWH

    You have the pentair vsp? I read electronics on it go out prematurely and my equip is outdoors until I build a cover around it.

    I think in long run better to switch to 3hp vsp since it will save money over time.

    Not sure how I'd run all on one pump, it's separate lines and everything with only manual valves. Once decent or jets start for instance, only the pump has to startup for it to work, there are no automatic valves. Be quite a change, would have to plumb valves to the controller and have vsp increase speed when decent or jets are turned out. Sure would be nice.


    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Buckeye AZ
    Posts
    807

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    you could switch to one VSP motor to run everything, but are then going to get a control system, and powered GVA valves, to switch back and forth between the jett/the sheer/the returns, etc? At least with three pumps, you set everything once and then just flip the switch for the thing you need.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    you could switch to one VSP motor to run everything, but are then going to get a control system, and powered GVA valves, to switch back and forth between the jett/the sheer/the returns, etc? At least with three pumps, you set everything once and then just flip the switch for the thing you need.
    Yeah I don't think I'm ready for that task, I'll leave it how it is but might switch to 3HP VSP to try to save electricity.

    I checked with Amazon and I'm past the 30 days on returning the DE filter. Ugh. So now I'll have to switch or I'll waste all that money.


    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    35

    Re: Recommendation on upgrades

    Thanks for everyone's help. I was able to return my DE filter back to Amazon and stick with sand for now. I bought a test kit and got my chemistry tweaked and it's super clear now. Also added DE which helped a lot!


    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •