New pool owner. Just a few questions after reading Pool School

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
Hello, I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum now that I have my new pool installed! I just have a few questions that I did not immediately see an answer to.

1. Recommended FC level for me is 4ppm with a CYA reading of 30. Other sources seem to say I should stay around 1-2. Why the difference?
2. Can anyone give me a good estimate for how long I should leave my pump running per day with the specs listed in my signature?
3. Is there a recommended App or program you use to chart test results or just a plain Excel spreadsheet?
4. I think I read somewhere that if you keep your pool chemistry in check there should be no need to shock once a week. Is this true? I assume I just need to keep my CC under .5?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

1. Others do not account for the affect of CYA...we do.

2. Start @ 10 hours daily and start reducing it until you feel it is no longer keeping your pool clean....then bring it back up a notch.

3. Some don't track at all. Many use excel. surprised you didn't get some feedback when you googled that.

4. It's absolutely true. A correctly managed pool will never need that. Keeping your CC's under .5 ppm has little to do with it, however,

CC's of 1.0 or greater is an indicator there is a problem but the visual presence of algae is better as is the excessive loss of chlorine described in the OCLT test.

Welcome to TFP!
Yep, keep your pool balanced TFPC style and no shock ever. I haven't "shocked" my pool in 3 years, I haven't drained a drop out of it for any reason and I've never missed a day swimming for any reason other than cold water.

The key is maintaining your chlorine level at or slightly above target level at all times for your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Never ever let you chlorine level drop below minimum level or algae will grow and your pool will be unsanitary. So, if you have 11 people swimming all day on a hot sunny day make SURE that the chlorine stays above target level. I add extra bleach to raise FC 3 or 4 ppm above target level before the party, if it is all day then check again in the middle of the day and add a little bleach, check again when everyone gets out and add bleach and check again one more time a couple of hours later.

The two most important tasks in pool maintenance is maintaining chlorine and PH.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

I am so happy I found this website shortly after my new pool was built. All of my questions have been answered and my pool is always sparkling clean! I thought I was in over my head, initially. But this website, along with a great test kit, and my pool is in perfect shape all the time!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.