Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner. Just a few questions after reading Pool School

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner. Just a few questions after reading Pool School

Hello, I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum now that I have my new pool installed! I just have a few questions that I did not immediately see an answer to.

1. Recommended FC level for me is 4ppm with a CYA reading of 30. Other sources seem to say I should stay around 1-2. Why the difference?
    2. Can anyone give me a good estimate for how long I should leave my pump running per day with the specs listed in my signature?
    3. Is there a recommended App or program you use to chart test results or just a plain Excel spreadsheet?
    4. I think I read somewhere that if you keep your pool chemistry in check there should be no need to shock once a week. Is this true? I assume I just need to keep my CC under .5?
    15'x30' 54" deep Above Ground (Built July 2015)
    12,000 Gallons
    Ecco 22" Sand Filter
    Waterway 1.5HP pump model: SD-15-1N11CC
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New pool owner. Just a few questions after reading Pool School

Welcome to the forum.

1. Others do not account for the affect of CYA...we do.

2. Start @ 10 hours daily and start reducing it until you feel it is no longer keeping your pool clean....then bring it back up a notch.

3. Some don't track at all. Many use excel. surprised you didn't get some feedback when you googled that.

4. It's absolutely true. A correctly managed pool will never need that. Keeping your CC's under .5 ppm has little to do with it, however,

CC's of 1.0 or greater is an indicator there is a problem but the visual presence of algae is better as is the excessive loss of chlorine described in the OCLT test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

3. actually we do have a great excel spreadsheet right here at TFP: Jesse's Pool Testing Log
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    Yep, keep your pool balanced TFPC style and no shock ever. I haven't "shocked" my pool in 3 years, I haven't drained a drop out of it for any reason and I've never missed a day swimming for any reason other than cold water.

The key is maintaining your chlorine level at or slightly above target level at all times for your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Never ever let you chlorine level drop below minimum level or algae will grow and your pool will be unsanitary. So, if you have 11 people swimming all day on a hot sunny day make SURE that the chlorine stays above target level. I add extra bleach to raise FC 3 or 4 ppm above target level before the party, if it is all day then check again in the middle of the day and add a little bleach, check again when everyone gets out and add bleach and check again one more time a couple of hours later.

The two most important tasks in pool maintenance is maintaining chlorine and PH.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. That pretty much answers my questions. I also found some of my answers in Pool School after realizing there were more articles than just the ABC's of pool chemistry.
    15'x30' 54" deep Above Ground (Built July 2015)
    12,000 Gallons
    Ecco 22" Sand Filter
    Waterway 1.5HP pump model: SD-15-1N11CC
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum! You've made an excellent decision to have a TFP pool! Feel free to post any questions, no matter how big or how small. The nice folks here would love to help you out.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh yeah...there are LOTS of pool school articles. LOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by A_kraker99 View Post
    Thanks for the info. That pretty much answers my questions. I also found some of my answers in Pool School after realizing there were more articles than just the ABC's of pool chemistry.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

I am so happy I found this website shortly after my new pool was built. All of my questions have been answered and my pool is always sparkling clean! I thought I was in over my head, initially. But this website, along with a great test kit, and my pool is in perfect shape all the time!!
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.