Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drops question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Fort Worth TX

Drops question

Okay the instructions clearly say drop one drop at a time swirling between each and that has been what I have been doing. On tests that yield a high number of drops and you have a track record of the test results is it okay to add multiple drops in the beginning until you approach the color change threshold or will this affect the test results? Example CA if your value is 300 or so can you add 10 drops twice swirling between each then drop 1 at a time? Or TA if your value is around 100 can you add 5 drops right off the bat then go one at a time?
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Drops question

I put them in a bunch at a time until I get close to the expected value. I've never seen any effect.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

I do the same as JohnT.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Ditto to what John said!

On a CH test I reasonably expect to be ~ 300, I'll add 20 drops first, swirl for 30 sec. and then add 2 drops at a time until I get close to the end point, then it's drop by drop until the endpoint holds (adding 2 at a time - even if you hit the endpoint after adding 2 drops - your within the margin of error for the test, so you've still got a good number) If somehow you overshoot adding 20 drops, just repeat the test and only add 10 drops at first then 2 at a time and then drop by drop.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

When measuring very high CH levels you might want to use the alternate test directions. They will allow each drop to count as 25, which means fewer total drops.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School