New swg conversion.

Jul 19, 2015
Mount Olive/NC
Hello all. I have recently purchased a swg system. CG 28669. I have an Intex 15x36 above ground pool. I added the salt as directed in the book(80lbs) hooked everything up, cleaned the filter. While I was sweeping the salt around the pool turned green, probably algae that was on the bottom, then I set the system according to the manual (5hrs on) then set it to boost. 24 hrs later it is still very green. My fc is around 8-10 per strips. Ph shows lowest reading, 6.2, ta reads lowest, 40, calcium hardness near if not 0. PLEASE HELP! :)

HI! What a shock to think you are doing something good and all of this goes wrong :(

What I am seeing is that your levels are WAY off BUT you are using strips and they are almost always wrong :( Here on TFP we call them "guessstrips" so .....................

I would like for you to look at my siggy to see the test kits we use here. THAT will help you get and keep your pool clear.

Kim

Welcome to TFP!

Test strips are almost as accurate as dipping your finger in the pool and holding it up to the wind and saying the first number that pops to mind. We recently had someone who was about to make a big PH adjustment based on test strips and when they got a good test kit the PH was almost perfect and we were about to waste money, time and chemicals to make the PH wrong.

Read this, Pool School - Test Kits Compared and order a test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. It has kept me out of the pool store and my pool crystal clear for 3 years.

And read this while you wait for the test kit, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Welcome to TFP!

+1 to getting a good test kit - don't rely on the "guessstrips". The reason your water is green is due to insufficient chlorine for your CYA level - pure & simple. I'm assuming that the strips do not test the CYA level, but even if they did, it would probably be expressed in a range which is not precise enough to manage a pool. You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math