Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a timer to my old setup. Do I set it to DPST or SPST for my pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a timer to my old setup. Do I set it to DPST or SPST for my pump?

Hi,

Just a little ignorant here about how to wire the new ET1125CR. I don't think I need guidance on actually how to wire it...yet. I think I will be ok there. It came with the diagrams I need, but it gives options based on weather or not i am using the timer to power something that is DPST or SPST. DPST (double pole single throw) SPST (Single pole single throw). My pump is listed in my signature, its 1.5hp, i do not think it is variable speed, or 2 speed, I would not know how to tell. I turn it on, it moves water. I just need to know, do I go DPST or SPST, and if I have not given enough info, I can get it for you all.

Thanks,
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a timer to my old setup. Do I set it to DPST or SPST for my pump?

Quote Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
    Hi,

Just a little ignorant here about how to wire the new ET1125CR. I don't think I need guidance on actually how to wire it...yet. I think I will be ok there. It came with the diagrams I need, but it gives options based on weather or not i am using the timer to power something that is DPST or SPST. DPST (double pole single throw) SPST (Single pole single throw). My pump is listed in my signature, its 1.5hp, i do not think it is variable speed, or 2 speed, I would not know how to tell. I turn it on, it moves water. I just need to know, do I go DPST or SPST, and if I have not given enough info, I can get it for you all.

Thanks,
    Here are photos of my pump if it helps...
    photo (3).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    Owner since August 2014. 21,500G Liner In ground Pool with attached 600G plaster in ground hottub. TF-100 Test Kit, Filter: Pentair TA60D Clearpro Sand (HTH) Filter. Pool: 1 Drain, 2 Skimmers 4 Returns. Hot Tub: 1 drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Hot Tub/Pool run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas Single Speed 1.5hp P2RA5F-182L pump with Emerson K63CXESE4972 motor. Spa jets run by Sta-Rite Dura Glas H/L model number unknown.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would prefer DPST so both sides get open when it is Off. Not sure what codes require.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, ok, when you say "prefer", it sounds like it will work both ways? I can hook it up either way, no issue there. Just want to do whatever is safest. I am only hooking up one motor.

Also, the timer gives me four possible voltage selections to set the timer to... 120V, 208V, 240V, 277V. The label says 208-230/115 at 60hz. So, should I set the timer to 208V or 240V? Thanks again...

5. Back To Top    #5

If your pump is wired for 220, I would think the DPST is your only option...110 volts on each of 2 hot legs. If it is wired for 110, the SPST would be what you want.

Check your pump breaker. It should be either a single breaker (SPST) or 2 breakers ganged together to operate as 1 (DPST). Wire your timer and pump the same way.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Thimble View Post
    If your pump is wired for 220, I would think the DPST is your only option...110 volts on each of 2 hot legs. If it is wired for 110, the SPST would be what you want.

Check your pump breaker. It should be either a single breaker (SPST) or 2 breakers ganged together to operate as 1 (DPST). Wire your timer and pump the same way.
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH! That clarifies it for me, yes it is on a 220V breaker. That is where the Dual Pole comes from in DPST? right?

7. Back To Top    #7

240 volts uses a DPST (double pole single throw) switch.

8. Back To Top    #8

220V only could be DpSt as there are two boys. 110V can be either one but as Thimble noticed wire it the way the breaker is.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all for the clarification... ok so DPST wiring, understood... but what about the setting on the box, 208V or 240V? the load it 208 to 230 at 60Hz but the incoming voltage is 240 from the breaker.

10. Back To Top    #10

Should probably be 240 v. That is the standard for single phase wiring, which is common household wiring. 208 is the standard for 3 phase wiring, which is usually industrial.

If you aren't completely sure, call your power company and ask them if your service is single or 3 phase, or get an electrician to check.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Set it for 240.

3 phase isn't anything they'd run to a home unless it was specifically used as a small business with a large electrical machine as nothing in a normal home can use 3 phase. I haven't seen any 3 phase pool pump motors for a residential pool.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

It can be set either way, it's not necessary to break both legs of a 240v power source to a load device.

With that said, I would also suggest to wire it in the 240V DPST SIM application, if you are only powering one device (pump).

If you wished to add another device to run simultaneously SIM, or independently IND, you could hard wire one leg of the 240 power source directly to each device. Then use the 2 separate load terminals to break the other leg to each device.
    I would not suggest using different voltages to the load devices though.

If you wish to replace the pump with a 2 speed in the future, you can also use this controller set in the SPDT application.

The voltage switch setting is to let the control board know which transformer leg to use in order to power the controller.
    You will need to install the jumpers to power the controller from the 240V power source.

If you don't fully comprehend the instructions, I would strongly suggest having a professional electrician, or HVAC technician connect the equipment.
    It just may save you some money, or life.
    It only takes one electrocution to relieve you from your worries permanently!
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.