YAY!!! New Pool Build in Progress - Tomball TX - Bring on the expert advice!

Jul 18, 2015
Tomball TX
Hi Everyone - We are so excited with our new pool build that I have just been reading through this forum and realized I better get to starting my own thread so that I can get expertise pointed in my direction. Currently we are sitting with a huge concrete hole in our yard as we have already received Gunite and are awaiting the Tile and Coping - Here lies the problem...I don't know what to pick - I keep changing my mind. Let me get you all caught up on where we are.

Here is our design:

General Specs:
pool dimensions: 16'-6" x 40'-0"x 12'-0"
Surface area: 512
Perimeter: 116
Depths: 3'-6" x 4'-6" x 7'-0"
Gallons: 18,720
Internal AreaL 1,077

Pool Decking
415 sq ft (+ additional 200 sq ft of existing covered patio)
Finish: Was Pea Gravel but need help here choosing something else
Hand chipped edge flagstone coping - Willing to change this

Water Feature
3 deck Jets
3 Stone Scuppers

Interior
Wet Edge Satin pearl Midnight Ocean
1 LED Jandy Pool
1 LED Jandy Spa
21'-12" Raised wall w/ Ledgestone
13'-18" Raised wall w/ Ledgestone
2- 2x2x2 Pillars with Ledgestone

Technical stuff I should care about but I leave that to the husband: Skimmer run 2 @70, Main Drain 25', 4 Returns, Water Feature return Trunk @35 VLV to Scupper @40, Cleaner Polaris 280, Cleaner Return 30', Spa Drain @72', Therapy heads @qqo', Air line @90', Nature 2 fusion soft, Clear 03 Ozone system, Common return @65, W/f BST. Suction @30', CIRC pump Jandy VS, 460 Cartridge, Therapy blower 1.5 hp, W/F booster 2 HP flo pro, Heater Jandy 400KNG...

I literally just typed that off a sheet and have no idea what the above means...

We did not like that the diagram above showed placing the pool equipment at the deep end of the pool so we contacted our AC guy and had him move our AC further down the side of our house to allow for the pool equipment to have its home hidden from our view....So far the best 800$ i have spent. Here is an overhead shot of our pool design.

Last edited:
Here we go trying to upload pics...be patient with me....

Smith_Cyndi_Pool%20Project%202015_spa_002%206_zpsj5bhmiix.jpg

Yay it worked - Here is our design Pics

Overhead shot of our design:

Smith_Cyndi_Pool%20Project%202015_spa_009_zpssrnhnnlb.jpg

View from Deep End:

Smith_Cyndi_Pool%20Project%202015_spa_004_zps4xg3y2tj.jpg

Here it is on paper *Note the pool equipment is not going at the deep end of the pool - More to come on that later:

IMG_9071_zpsjdopbfmw.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Electrical Reroute had to be done...

IMG_8472_zps0ahjdt0z.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

He is preparing to play in the pool...Yes he has filled an ice chest and decided to climb in...Poor Kid!

IMG_8346_zpsqnankxsb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

First Choices of selections - I still love the waterline tile - feel free to give me advice....My husband and i are trying to decide if the Pebble is going to be to dark -

IMG_8220_zps41e3d8fq.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is with the back wall selection...This is Madison County - Thoughts?????

IMG_8216_zpsvcxglqlv.jpg

Now onto the DIG...

Dig lines for the spa
IMG_9091_zpsknmxnp7e.jpg

Dragonfly's are a sign of change:
IMG_9094_zpsnz71gz39.jpg

Dig Day Day one:
IMG_9128_zps2ccytrmx.jpg

IMG_9135_zpsi1ucxfna.jpg

Day Two:

IMG_9144_zpsbcmhrrwj.jpg

IMG_9155_zpskpwlkzey.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Happy Fourth of July:

IMG_9250_zpsqrlfgnbc.jpg

IMG_9249_zpsk2vhbyu9.jpg

Oh yeah - Cant wait till I am overlooking a Pool instead of a hole - but for now a hole is good:

IMG_9255_zpsrqpx7cfy.jpg

Time for some metal....

IMG_9445_zpsz9hbitxf.png

So i was out of town and didnt get to see the Gunite done but came home to this - This is the first morning after the Gunite

IMG_9298_zpswoohvzui.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Piping was laid but i didn't grab a picture....I know shame on me...The pool equipment has been halfway installed...The heater is still in the box

IMG_9412_zpsyak7f4pu.jpg

Fastest pool build ever -said no one ever! HAHAHAHA

Amandahein3 - I absolutely loved reading through your build...I was showing your selections to my husband last night and is one of the reasons I am so up in the air with mine right now....I want to stick to a classical look so that it doesn't become to trendy and then look outdated faster...However on the flip side of that i don't want it to look to old either...Any advice on this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a neat pool and lay out! I love it! the pics are awesome! The pic of of the little watering the pool and in his "own" pool! OH SO CUTE!!!! Tell him soon!!!!

I love your pics for the finishes for the pool. Those will look nice together.

Nature 2 fusion soft, Clear 03 Ozone system

Now for the not so good stuff. I know you said that your husband was in charge of this part. Please have him come to TFP and do some research. He will find that the two above items are not good for a pool. They are expensive to run and can cause more problems than anything.

Here at TFP we use our own test kits and chlorine to keep our pools clear and clean. We test and add what is needed. It can be automated if you want.

We would LOVE to teach you how to do this. It is easy and FUN. The testing could be your boy's job!

Thanks for sharing your build with us!

Kim

The nature 2 adds metals to your water. Here is a link to a page talking about why metals are bad.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

If you put mature 2 fusions in the TFP search link at the top right of the home page you will get LOTS of hits. That way you can pick and choose which ones to read and share.

Do the same thing for the ozone system. Here is a good link where they talk about the why not of the ozone systems.

E-Clear System

I do not want you to spend so much money on something that will not be good for your pool and wallet in the long run.

Here at TFP we are all about teaching you how to take care of your pool with products that you can find at Walmart and Lowes!

Here is a link for what we use in our pools.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You are also welcome to post your questions as a stand alone thread to see what others have to say.

I hope this helps!

Kim

We really wanted the SW pool but we have a narrow yard - iron fence and windy backyard. The PB talked us out of it due to salt eroding the iron fence and putting dimples in our back windows - we had heard other complaints from neighbors as well although I really wanted it.

I believe they already installed the chlorinater but it's not like we have used it so I will continue to read the horrible reviews that I am :( and talk to my PB tomorrow. Thanks guys for the heads up and the encouragement to learn more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomorrow we are going to the builder to place our final selections on tile coping stonework for back wall and decking. I'm sure I am not the first to be second guessing - but OMG I am!

Do I want a stacked stone all the way across or should I break it up at the columns to give it more depth? Decking - I still don't know I really like the look of all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.