YAY!!! New Pool Build in Progress - Tomball TX - Bring on the expert advice!

NEED DECKING HELP!!!! OK here is my dilemma - We had originally signed up for Pea Gravel as i like the rustic look of it...However i know it splits, cracks, pebbles pop out, it gets hot,etc....So I started to explore other options...First I thought Pavers would be nice - and i like the idea of how they can be replaced easily, allow for good drainage and we can encroach on our easements (Just a little) as they are not permanent. However, we don't have much decking between the pool and my existing patio so I am concerned that it wont look right.

So what does that leave me....

KoolDeck - Not hot - can choose colors - not slippery - can add to existing patio to match kinda boring! (Don't take offense if you have it - we are all swimmers and so we see it everyday at pools we practice at - but please show me what you got - i would love to change my mind on this as it fits every other bill)

Travertine - LOVE however its super pricey - like an additional 4k for our small deck and that doesn't include the extra 200 sq ft of existing patio.

Stamped Concrete can be very pretty and we could add to our exiting patio but i hear it gets hot on the feet.

Carvestone - Beautiful - don't have any downsides to this yet...But haven't completely looked into it.

Bluestone Pavers - Beautiful - 50/50 on the hot thing

What am i missing????? Today is the day to decide and i still have no idea -

Here is what our columns and back wall should look like - this is a pic from a different PB that i am trying to match :

Our Back Columns and Spa will look Similar to this:

Capture25_zpsrj2eowqr.jpg

What would you put with this for decking?

Lots of things to consider. Do you want your coping to contrast with your deck or blend in? You could use a different shade of flagstone for the deck for contrast or pavers might be ok. It's really difficult to tell without pictures of samples.

And I'm definitely not an expert on this! Hopefully someone who has gone thru the process will chime in.

Love the pool!

Question: Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just curious. Did they add extra steel to account for the surcharge from your house? It looks like the 7' depth is only 4'-5' from the edge of your house. I once read that it had to be 1' greater than the depth (approx 8ft in your case). I'm just wondering if they really had to load up the steel or if that was discussed?

Csmith: Some other SWG experienced pool owners may want to jump in to help you with your decisions. A SWG pool is not like the salty ocean. Not in the least. It does not hurt the grass, shrubs, and we have not had any problems with it harming windows or the window frames, pool equipment, siding, pool toys, swimsuits, hair, skin, or anything. It's like taking a plunge in water that has been treated with a water softener similar to calgon. There is no smell either. It is more gentle to skin then chlorine, and is by far less expensive and easy to maintain. Do read through the threads, and ask some of others for opinions and experiences. We have had two SWG pools and have never regretted the decision. We went through the expense of converting an older chlorine pool to SWG, and it made such a huge difference in maintenance. I think you will be surprised.

Decking------I am really learning to love the cool deck. I like it for your due to being able to do your existing patio!

I LOVE the stacked stone! Please stay with it! I like the column toppers out of the rough cut stone! NICE!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your coping will be rough cut flagstone, then I think I would probably use something smoother for the deck. Otherwise it might look too busy.
Without examples side by side for comparison, it's hard for me to say though. I'm a more visual person, most of the time anyway!

If I could have afforded Tavertine - I would have been ALL OVER IT! I just didn't have it in my budget. So we went with SprayDeck. But I LOVE the look of the tavertine!

Did anyone else feel like they were talking to celebrities when some of the senior people chimed in on their post - because I get giddy when I see you all respond after reading all of your pool experiences!

How do you like your Sun Deck? My appointment with the PB is in 30 minutes so any last minute suggestions????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travertine will be more upkeep. I've seen the Travertine pattern in stamped concrete that looks fabulous. I also love your picture of the Carvestone. It looks like travertine, but I don't know anything about it. How is it different from stamped concrete?

I've had a flagstone patio - about 12 or 14 years. I didn't like how it held up, but maybe it was the quality of the stone or the installer.

My boys were swimmers, too. We all hated the pea pebble.
Suz.

I will let you all know soon - fingers crossed I don't lose my mind trying to decide and i feel good about my decisions when i leave. Suz, i am not sure of the difference between carved stone and stamped concrete but i will find out - I really love that photo as well - but who knows maybe it was photo shopped. Its hard finding things on the web as you never know if the photo has been altered.

Oh yes - gotta love summer league Swim team, High school swim team and now year around swim....You would think we would be sick of pools but i think we were fishies in a previous life! ;)

Ok so here are our 2 Options:

Mountain Ledgestone Stacked Rock for back wall - Rough Edge Flagstone Coping and Silverstone Marine Tile - Carvestone Decking (Expensive) or Spray Deck (Cheap) in Houston Tan.
IMG_9523_zpsxmakn7jx.jpg

Capture45_zpsdkdsrbew.jpg

Travertine Split Face Antico Onyx for back wall - 16x16 Castle Cream Travertine for Coping and Silverstone Marine Tile - Mission Tan or California Smoke Spray Deck
IMG_9571_zps8nmriehn.jpg

IMG_9572_zpshedz7hgb.jpg

IMG_9573_zpsejgoh2is.jpg

I know they are totally different looks but we like them both - HELP!

You cannot go wrong with any of them!

My fav is-------------Travertine Split Face Antico Onyx for back wall - 16x16 Castle Cream Travertine for Coping and Silverstone Marine Tile - Mission Tan or California Smoke Spray Deck

Kim

Wow! The Travertine Split Face Antico Onyx for the back wall is gorgeous! And I like the California Smoke spray deck. :) Just kinda depends on the pattern you like for the spray deck and if you want it to contrast with the wall or not. But, beautiful choices!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.