What contributes to pruney fingers?

I was meaning they may have more or less of some chemical.
ETA because it happened so much faster at their pool

Do you have an SWCG? My family and I have noticed that our fingers & toes wrinkle less and take longer to do so since we got our SWCG. Of course, I also began adding borates at almost the same time, so maybe that's a contributing factor. :confused:

Duraleigh said:
This forum is drop dead amazing. I learn something each day I am on here.

I agree. :mrgreen: ?

This question of wrinkly fingers was brought up before in this post referring to the same science article.

However, before I was told about that article I had assumed that it was related to osmosis since body fluids are at a higher salt level (around 8000 ppm or so) than the water so the water is more concentrated and goes into the skin puffing it up. So being in saltier water would have less of a response if this were true. Maybe the real truth is a combination of the two where there is the evolutionary nerve response to create grippier hands by wrinkling the skin when exposed to water AND such exposure to water may be detected by the increase in water and osmotic pressure entering into the cells so the response would be faster in water with less salt in it.

So perhaps the entry of water into the skin puffs it up and triggers the evolutionary nerve response that then causes the puffed up skin to wrinkle for better gripping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.