Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cracked pump pot rim

1. Back To Top    #1

cracked pump pot rim

Our Pentair Optiflo pump has been leaking. Yesterday, while cleaning the rim of the pump pot, I noticed a crack around the rim where the lid attaches. I feel sure that is from my husband over-tightening the lid. Is there some type of product I can use to seal this crack?
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cracked pump pot rim

You will need to replace the pump pot. If you have the model number of the pump you should be able to order a new pump pot. Here is an example of the parts list for this pump. PENTAIR

You can try to epoxy the crack but you run the risk of not being able to get the pump lid back on, or epoxying the lid to the pot. Also the epoxy may not hold under pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Not really. You can try epoxy but that pump basket actually moves alittle bit and I suspect it will re-crack.

Hand tight is more than enough on ALL strainer basket lids......tell him to chill!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to update, in case anyone has a similar problem. We disconnected the pump, dried it well, and I applied an epoxy glue on the cracks - wiggling the plastic just enough for the glue to seep into the cracks. I wiped it with denatured alcohol afterwards to make sure it was smooth. After 4 hours we replaced the lid, hooked up the pump and turned her on. So far everything has improved dramatically. I think that crack was causing multiple problems in the filtering of the pool and we didn't even realize it.
    Don't know how long this fix will hold. Hopefully until after the season and then we will buy a new pump pot for next year.
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

5. Back To Top    #5

I would buy the pot now. The fix gives you some time but it may crack tomorrow or next season, you simply don't know. Buy it so you have it handy, if it holds for a year, great, but if it quits in a week, you won't have to wait.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater