An unusual pool build

Hi there

Most of the high quallity pool in Denmark is made this way, but the liner is made at the site plz. take a look at this link (sorry the text is in Danish, but I guess that the pictures shows the princip) :-D

Box building:
http://www.geismar.dk/projekter/pool/bund/bund.htm
http://www.geismar.dk/projekter/pool/sider/sider.htm
http://www.geismar.dk/projekter/pool/pu ... dsning.htm
http://www.geismar.dk/projekter/pool/ka ... fliser.htm

Liner mounting:
http://www.geismar.dk/projekter/pool/mo ... tering.htm

I can send you links from other projects if you want to

BR
Mads

Dave,
holy cow, that is a great pool (how did I miss these pics before)....amazing work!!! I bet you were glad when she was all done!!!
will you share with us how much it cost to build and how long did it take?
so what is your next project??

Chris

Hi again

Actually it’s not my pool, but this picture series is so Dang good that almost every one in Denmark is going by this site, to see how it’s done.

Here is a little bit about the process, the liner is a special liner which is 1.5mm thick (0.06 inches). Besides that the liner is reinforced which means that there is a fiber grid inside the liner, which makes it very strong. This kind of liner has a life time of about 30 years, but I have seen pools with liners that are 35-39 years old and still no problems seen.

The liner is now days welded together with hot air, back in the 70 and 80 cold welding was also used, which is done with a special chemical which dissolves the 2 pieces of liners so that they can be pushed together. Well as you probably can figure out this kind of chemical is very toxic and not used any more, some is still using it for small repair jobs.

The price for such of liners varies from pool company to pool company, but one of my local pool guys is charging 350DKR pr. M2 in dollars that would be approx 64USD pr M2.

One square meter equals 10.76 square foot

Here is a little bit about my pool, it’s a 9x5 meter (29.5x16.4 feet) oval shape pool, the depth is 1.5 meter (4.9 feet). It’s an panel like pool with an prefabricate liner which is 1mm thick (0.04 inches).

The pool is of course build by me and some help from friends.

The pool is heated with solar heater, during the summer our average temperature is 25C (77F), and the peak temperature is 31.5C (88.7F). If the sun should fail we also have a heat exchanger, which is hooked on to the heating system in the house.

I’ll return later with more details and more links with pictures, if you are interested in some European pool projects.

/Mads

ps. sorry for the late reply, I'm on vacation at the moment :-D

Chris,

Embarassingly, the pool took about 3 years start to finish. I started clearing almost an acre of land in preparation and, when I dug the hole, hit a delay of over nine months before I poured any concrete. Anyway, from the first concrete to water in the pool was about a year but the decking and bricks, etc around the pool took close to another year, I think.

I sorta' lost track of time and cost as the project went on but I do know that the deck cost me more than the pool. The 2500 feet of decking (I contracted the concrete underneath and did my own tile) was an out-of-pocket cost of around 14-15k. The pool itself was about 10-12k because it's really nothing but concrete blocks and a footing. The big custom liner was the most expensive part (covering the steps added about $500 to the liner, if I remember)at about $2200.

As I said at the top of the thread, I could probably do the whole thing very fast from what I learned but my pool building days are over......there are simply too many brands of beer out there that need tasting! :lol:

very cool...I always find it amazing how people come up with DIY projects :) you did a amazing job!!! I bet you are glad those 3 years are done :)

chris

duraleigh said:
As I said at the top of the thread, I could probably do the whole thing very fast from what I learned but my pool building days are over......there are simply too many brands of beer out there that need tasting! :lol:

Hahaha Dave you took the words from my mouth :goodjob:
And Dave! Don't forget that your project is twice as big as most peoples when you summarize the time you've spent. My pool would fit in one of your corners. My philosophy have always been that you can't see how much time you've spent on a project afterwards but you will always live with it's result.

regards Mats

nice job and the pool!

you will have some trouble blowing out the skimmer and bottom drain with those check valves though :hammer:

EDIT by Duraleigh: There is no "bottom drain" and there is no "blowing out". This pool is in NC and it is never closed. slow down and read :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
you will have some trouble blowing out the skimmer and bottom drain with those check valves though
Here in the South, "blowin' out the bottom drain" is usually from eatin' too many jalapenos!

Most of us drain the pump and filter and we're done!

duraleigh said:
you will have some trouble blowing out the skimmer and bottom drain with those check valves though
Here in the South, "blowin' out the bottom drain" is usually from eatin' too many jalapenos!

Most of us drain the pump and filter and we're done!

HAHAHAHAH!! sounds like a nice easy pool closing then... and be easy on those Jalapenos would ya?!

When the liner bead is inserted into the track, it is a pretty tight fit already. Then when the liner is pulled down against the wall from the water pressure, it actually wedges the bead in tighter. It is really a clever design that someone came up with.

I had to remove the first liner because it was manufactured wrong and, when we did, there was some seepage. I couldn't tell for sure if it was from ground water migrating through the wall or some leakage at the track-bead joint but I suspect it was at the joint. It's not enough to measure any water loss, though.

Keeping that liner submerged I hope will add years to it's life as no UV can get to it. So far, that appears to be the case as the liner seems as supple as it did 6-7 years ago.

I was looking at the Kafko water tile solution but its gimmicky since water can still go behind the tiles to the liner and algae grows there etc.

This is a clever idea - I'm going to have to run it by my builder for our remodel. Was this a standard front mounted track right? Why do you think more people dont do it this way?

There was a guy in California that I talked to on the phone that had done this before so he sent me the track....I guess it's standard....I don't know. Here is a pic.[attachment=0:eiilarea]035sidetrk.jpg[/attachment:eiilarea]Why more people don't do it is an easier question. Very few people want what is essentially a masonry pool but with a liner instead of plaster.

Attachments

• 035sidetrk.jpg
    035sidetrk.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 721
Thanks for the pics Dave. What I meant was why don't more people do the water tile with a liner...I'm guessing it's because the kits don't allow for this?

Did you do anything special to seal the gap between the tile and the liner (caulking of some kind?) What kind of grout did you use?

carlscan26 said:
Thanks for the pics Dave. What I meant was why don't more people do the water tile with a liner...I'm guessing it's because the kits don't allow for this?

Did you do anything special to seal the gap between the tile and the liner (caulking of some kind?) What kind of grout did you use?
If I understand you correctly, liner pools do not accept tile because they typically are installed with a flexible wall (i.e..... steel, fiberglass, polymer, etc) and tile cannot successfully be installed on that kind of substrate. The scum line tile sits on top of the track separated from the track by about 1/8" or so of mortar.....nothing special on the mortar just Home Depot's middle of the line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.