Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, because previous owners built the deck over the top railing, I had to cut it back when it came time to replace the liner. As you can see from the pic, the pool railing is now begging to be stepped on. I would like to attach some sort of step to the facia, just above the top rail. The facia is a 2 x 10 anchored to the deck frame, so should be plenty strong there. What is my best bet for support? Metal brackets? Build it out with wood? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20150718_134602.jpg
    20150718_134602.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 119
a 6x6 cut to length and using anchor bolts to the fascia board would probably work.. it may be a lot of force and twist every time someone stepped on it though... You may have to anchor the fascia board better to handle the stress..

Thanks, I am hearing lots of votes for building out with wood (as opposed to brackets) so will first take every opportunity to better anchor the fascia to the frame and then spend some time in the screw/bolt section of home depot.

Just thought of some thing, you could use some 1/4 inch stainless steel and make 2 identical J type hooks.. Anchor 1 side to your deck and the U under the 4x4.. For support

Cut the fascia out at that spot. Sister new joists to the existing joists under the deck. Use carriage bolts, washers, and nuts. Have the sistered joists stick out to the edge of the pool. Put decking (and fascia) on the new section.

Now your deck extends out in just that spot. Then, when you have to get to that top cap again, you go under the deck, and because you used carnage bolts, not lag screws, you can unbolt that section, slide it out towards the pool, and remove it. Then after you do what you have to do to the pool, you can slide it back in.

If you sister it for 4 feet or so under the deck, that should be quite sturdy. You could even go overboard and attach a 2x4 on the bottom of the existing joist, so the new sistered joist has a bearing surface to rest on when it is in place.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.