No Need For Acid

Jun 17, 2015
Houston, Tx
So, I have been following TFP for about 2 months now and I have been loving it. Ever since my SLAM I have to add between 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon of 8.25% everyday and the pool has stayed crystal clear.

My question is why have I not had to add any acid yet? Most of the post that I read say that once you get into a consistent pattern most people have to add a few cups of acid every week. I keep on checking my pH and it bounces between 7.5 and 7.8 and I have not added any acid.

My only other thought was that it could be the water that I have to add to keep my water level consistent. After a full day of pool use I usually have to replace about a half inch to an inch of water.

My numbers from my test this morning are:

CC:0
FC 3.5
CYA: 35
TA:100
CH:350
pH: 7.8

Thoughts?

You're lucky to have nice stable pH - probably a conjunction of various factors, including your TA.

Not everyone has to add acid. For example, our pH drifts gradually down (using only bleach to chlorinate), so I periodically add a few cups of borax to bring it up. That (i.e. pH dropping) seems to be somewhat more common in New England than in other parts of the country.

Be happy!
You have not had to add any acid, because your pH has found a happy place with your TA. The TA effects the rate of pH rise. A lot has to do with what the TA of your fill water is too.

It happens on occasion that its gets just right.

I havent added any MA in over a year.

I have never been so lucky. I lived in New England where I always battled low pH, now I'm in Tucson where my pool has a constantly rising pH. Lowering the TA only works for a little while, until replacing due to rapid evaporation with highly alkaline water brings it back up. Count yourself lucky.

Since finding my pool's sweet spot with TA and borates 3 seasons ago I haven't had to add a drop of acid, even with; my stays at 7.5-7.6 all season even with chlorinating with a SWCG. I do have to raise pH a little at spring opening though (I use borax to do so).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.