Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Need For Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

No Need For Acid

So, I have been following TFP for about 2 months now and I have been loving it. Ever since my SLAM I have to add between 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon of 8.25% everyday and the pool has stayed crystal clear.

My question is why have I not had to add any acid yet? Most of the post that I read say that once you get into a consistent pattern most people have to add a few cups of acid every week. I keep on checking my pH and it bounces between 7.5 and 7.8 and I have not added any acid.

My only other thought was that it could be the water that I have to add to keep my water level consistent. After a full day of pool use I usually have to replace about a half inch to an inch of water.

My numbers from my test this morning are:

CC:0
    FC 3.5
    CYA: 35
    TA:100
    CH:350
    pH: 7.8

Thoughts?
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Need For Acid

It's not odd at all not to have to add acid to a pool. My pool is over 6 years old and I haven't added a gallon of acid in the whole time. My pH stays right at 7.5.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You're lucky to have nice stable pH - probably a conjunction of various factors, including your TA.

Not everyone has to add acid. For example, our pH drifts gradually down (using only bleach to chlorinate), so I periodically add a few cups of borax to bring it up. That (i.e. pH dropping) seems to be somewhat more common in New England than in other parts of the country.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Be happy!
    You have not had to add any acid, because your pH has found a happy place with your TA. The TA effects the rate of pH rise. A lot has to do with what the TA of your fill water is too.

It happens on occasion that its gets just right.

I havent added any MA in over a year.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses...I'll just consider myself lucky.
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I have never been so lucky. I lived in New England where I always battled low pH, now I'm in Tucson where my pool has a constantly rising pH. Lowering the TA only works for a little while, until replacing due to rapid evaporation with highly alkaline water brings it back up. Count yourself lucky.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the pH of your fill water ? Mine is 7.8 to 8.1, but the water where my son lives comes out of the tap at 5.7 ! That would make a huge difference.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Since finding my pool's sweet spot with TA and borates 3 seasons ago I haven't had to add a drop of acid, even with; my stays at 7.5-7.6 all season even with chlorinating with a SWCG. I do have to raise pH a little at spring opening though (I use borax to do so).
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004