Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Prologic T-Cell 15 SWG help plzzzz!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Prologic T-Cell 15 SWG help plzzzz!!!

Hi TFP,
    First and foremost, I LOVE TFP!!! I cannot say enough how much this forum has helped me maintain a crystal clear pool since the beginning and it has been a piece of cake!

However, and I might be doing this completely wrong, but I have been trying to get my FC up to about 4+ppm but I can't seem to get it there with my SWG. When I first started using the SWG, I was easily able to get my FC up in the 4-7ppm range with relatively low % output. But its been getting harder to maintain higher levels over the past month. I try to up the % on my SWG but its not making a difference. Plz see snapshot of my tests.
    Screenshot_7_19_15__10_55_AM.jpg
    FWIW, I run my pump 3 hrs in the morning (10am - 1pm) and 3 hrs in the afternoon (4pm - 7pm), thats 6 hrs total. Should I be running the pump longer maybe??

Also, just as a sanity check, how are my numbers otherwise??

Thanks for all your help TFP community!!!
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hayward Prologic T-Cell 15 SWG help plzzzz!!!

your screen shot is barely too small to read.. but, you may have to run you pump longer to keep up, maybe an hour longer at night and see where that get you..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

The answer is that you need to run the SWG as long as you need to maintain FC. Every pool is different. I am running mine at 60% for 8 hours a day right now to maintain 8-9 ppm at 70 CYA. We swim a couple of hours a day during the week and many hours on the weekend. As the heat and swimming ramp up the SWG needs to ramp also. Or use some bleach to help out on the weekends with big swimming days. If your SWG starts to fall behind then it is only a matter of time before algae starts growing and using up FC faster than the SWG can produce it. Always be sure to supplement your SWG with bleach as you are trying to ramp it up. It is always MUCH better to have too much chlorine than not enough. It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. We swam every day during a SLAM for a week and a half with FC between 25 and 28.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

How old is the system?

What are the diagnostic readings?

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all for the information/tips! Makes sense.

I hope this pic is clearer:

So I should run the system for about 8 hours for starters?

The system is 3 months old.

PoolDV, I noticed your FC is at 8-9ppm @ 70CYA. So should I have my FC at 8-9+ppm since my CYA is @ 70-80??
    Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May 2015: 17K Viking Caribbean Fiberglass IG pool (16'x40'), PAL lighting three 2T4 LED's (inside pool), Hayward DE 6020, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, SWG TCell15, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump, Hayward Omnilogic automation + Sense & Dispense (HLCHEM).
    Rest of the backyard ideas/wish list: 12 x 20 Pergola, 48" Round Firepit, Accent/Landscape lighting, Outdoor movie theatre and music (projector & speakers), etc...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    How old is the system?

James, you know whats funny? The pump came on at 10am and its now 12:45 and the system says: "Chlorinator off, Percentage met".
    Now at 70% output, does that make sense??

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ashmoussa View Post
    James, you know whats funny? The pump came on at 10am and its now 12:45 and the system says: "Chlorinator off, Percentage met".
    Now at 70% output, does that make sense??
    To answer my question, the SWG % is directly related to the amount of run time the pump is on. I have it scheduled as follows:
    1. 10am to 11pm @ 2588 rpm
    2. 11am to 1pm @ 1758 rpm
    3. 4pm to 5pm @ 1758 rpm
    4. 5pm to 7pm @ 2588 rpm
    So when in time slot 2 (11am to 1pm "2 hours total"), the SWG turns off when it reaches 70% of the amount of time the pump is on which would be around 1.5 hrs into the cycle which would be approx. 12:30 ish.

Makes sense????

8. Back To Top    #8

How old is the system?

3 months old.

9. Back To Top    #9

Those diagnostic readings look good. It's working correctly. The chlorine got behind the demand and the output wasn't enough. Maintain fc at 15% of cya for one week. Slam if needed.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I notice on your chart there are consistently .5 CC readings. Any time I see even .5, that means something is eating the chlorine in my pool. Its pretty easy for a low level of algae to be consuming enough chlorine to make it difficult to maintain a proper level. I always find the answer is to boost the level with bleach for a while and see what happens.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Is the 1758 rpm enough to trigger the flow switch?

12. Back To Top    #12

Is the 1758 rpm enough to trigger the flow switch?
    Thx. Yes, it's enough to trigger the flow switch.

I'll try upping the FC to 12 and if I need I will supplement with bleach.

All, Thx for all your advice!!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the same SWG, with a 20k inground pool. I run the pump 9.5 hours/day and set my SWG most of the time at 25 to 30%. I'm able to maintain chlorine at 7 to 8 ppm, with CYA at 70. I find this is what has worked best of our pool.

I would recommend deciding where you want your FC to be. Then add liquid chlorine/bleach to reach that level. Then use your SWG to maintain that level. A 6 hour run time doesn't seem enough to me so you might want to bump it up. It can be frustrating in the beginning getting your SWG dialed in to the percentage you need and your pump run time, but once you do, all should be good.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)