Wichita Chief in KS

Wichita Chief

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Andover KS.
Hello all! I just realized I never ventured over here too give a shout out. I have gained so much knowledge on this forum that I decided I needed to support it and I became a lifetime member. (now all I have to do is figure out how to get the supporter bar under my avatar) I LOVE the TF-100 test kit. It makes testing so easy! My pool has never been this nice and we get compliments from everyone who uses it! The two biggest reasons are: the pump/filter and the knowledge gained here.
Somehow the cheapie Intex pump/filter disappeared over the winter from the mother-in-laws garage (her house is where the pool is). But my better half had picked up a Hayward S166T sand filter and SP1580 1 hp pump last year at a garage sale for $5-$10! It needed the sand and some cleaning along with some TLC getting it back up to snuff. Less than $25 in o-rings, a cap and some fittings and it filters awesome. Plus I don't have to replace those pleated filters constantly at approx $5 a pop.
Learning what my water chemistry levels should be and how to get them there has made the world of difference. This year we have yet to spend more than $30 on chemicals! And the water tests within limits and stays there! No green or brown algae or slime! I added the initial amount of CYA and bleach and have only added bleach ever since. Understanding the optimum chlorine level is determined by the CYA level is priceless. Understanding that chlorine goes bye bye due to sun, etc and needs correcting daily and not by floating a puck either has helped me immeasurably.

Today we are adding a Hayward skimmer that I learned would really help keep junk out of the pool by removing it before it sinks to the bottom and becomes detritus. Cutting the pool was not on my "to-do" list at the beginning of the year. LOL!
I'm more of a lurker than a poster but a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me this summer!