Intex UF Pool 22 x 52 - Not sure if Algae or Metals - Clear Very Light Green Water

***UPDATED WITH TEST RESULTS OF TAYLOR TEST KIT; SEE BOTTOM OF POST ***

Good Morning,

First I would like to thank everyone for this website. It has been so instrumental in teaching me about pool chemistry and maintenance. I have been reading posts for almost 2 weeks now and am so grateful for this site. I ordered the Taylor Test Kit K-2006 but I wont have it until tomorrow 7/20. I had purchased earlier this week the HTH Drop Test Kit because it contained the drop test for CYA. Which I knew from this site was instrumental. Now let me give you some background information:

Pool: Above Ground Intex UF 22' x 52"
Filter: Cartridge Filter 2500 GPH Filter/ Pump , ~ I am going to be purchasing the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump to replace, read great things about it plus I hate cleaning the cartridge every day / sometimes every 6 hours.
SWG - Intex SWG for 15,000 Gal Pool Model 28669EG

Test Results: Filter Pump has been running constantly; SWG only started 7/18 @ 9pm (12hours run time so far)
CYA : 65PPM ( Added 4lb CYA 7/17)
FC: OTO Drop Test is Dark Yellow however holder only reads to 5 but I had test strips that read up to 10 and it definitely tests positive for the 10 .....cant wait for my Taylor Kit. I had added 1 Gallon of Clorox Bleach 8.25% concentrate yesterday 7/18 @ 9am.
PH: 7.5 ( I read on the forum not to trust PH since FC is so high. Is that correct ?)
Alkalinity Test - 60PPM
Salt Test: 6.2 ~ 3130 PPM

My water is a very slight green/aqua color but is clear to the bottom.I have seen brown spots developing and am brushing it every day. They do brush off extremely easily, so I believe it to be algae. I have read about mineral content in the water but I am unsure at this point. Is it safe to swim ? Add more clorox ? I also purchased granular HTH Chlorine, but havent opened/used it yet. Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely update the post after I get my Taylor Kit and test everything again. :)
Main view of pool.jpgIMG_1317.jpg

**7-21-15 Update

Okay so I got my Taylor test kit on 7-20-15. Now on Sunday I had went into the pool to get some debris out and I went under and the water was cloudy. So this lead me to believe it was algae. I haven't had the iron tested yet.

**Weather has been significantly hot since 7-19-15 - 85-95 degrees out and very high humidity ; supposed to remain the same through out the week **

7-20-15 - 4PM

CYA - 60 PPM
FC - 22.5 PPM ~ Shock level aiming for is 24 FC
CC = 0
TA: 60PPM
3130 PPM Salt Test (via HTH Salt Strip Test; all other measurements were obtained using Taylor test kit)

I added 121 oz of Clorox 8.25% Bleach ~ thinking algae at this point...maybe yellow mustard not sure.

7-21-15 - 8:30AM

FC = 25 PPM
CC = 0
*Cleaned filter cartridge ( have been doing daily and sometimes twice daily)
Added another 121 oz Clorox 8.25% Bleach ~ it seemed slightly clearer in the morning plus I knew the sunny / hot / humid weather would make the algae worse and burn off alot of FC

7-21-15 - 9:50PM

FC = 28.5 PPM
CYA = 50 PPM - Should I add 2 lbs of CYA to a sock and let hang off the side in the pool ?
7.6 PH -
TA = 100 PPM

I do see the water getting slightly clearer and it wasn't as aqua color. But my numbers are now jumping around. So now I am a bit more confused. I probably should have had my water tested for Iron first but seeing cloudy underwater convinced me it was algae. Acck ! I don't know now. Should I continue shocking ? Thank you so much !!!

Last edited:
Thank you ! I am going to read the link, thought I had read almost everything on the site LOL. Thanks for posting the link. I haven't opened the granular (will be returning) because everything Ive read on here says liquid chlorine/ bleach. I have the SWG on boost mode and will add bleach everyday. I guess until I get my Taylor Test kit it will be hard to know my true FC levels since the strips only go to 10 and the drops only have indicator colors to 5. Thank you for your reply :)

It's a bit of a guess solely based on your picture but I am pretty sure you have iron in your water. The fairly high level of FC has caused the iron to precipitate out as yellow particles that stay suspended in the water because they are so small. The blue of the water combines with this yellow to give your pool a green tint......but a clear green tint....algae is a murky green tint and usually much darker.

The solution is letting your FC drop back down to normal and then allowing time for the filter to filter out the iron particulates. The pool will slowly return to green.

Testing for iron either with your own special test (about $25.00) or going to a pool store may confirm the presence of iron but don't be too surprised if the test says "No iron". In trace amounts, the test is sketchy. Regardless, I believe that is iron in your pool water.....did you fill from a well? That would be a good indicator of iron, too.

I will definitely post the results once I get my kit. I had them rush ship it, so I should have tomorrow. My husband has been making fun of me for all the reading between pool manuals, this website is constantly on my laptop and on my phone. But darn it, I will have a crystal clear pool if its the last thing I do LOL ! I am determined ! Plus you guys give me lots of hope :) Thanks again !

- - - Updated - - -

No we have city water here, so I thats why I was confused about the Iron. I think I will have the water tested just to rule out the iron/metals in the pool. I have the filter on 24/7, figuring the only thing it will hurt is my electric bill, but I am after clear water so whatever it takes lol. Hmm now I am not sure if I should SLAM or wait.......It was the slightly darker green before the bleach. The bleach and SWG on boost seemed to lighten a bit.

**7-21-15 Update

Okay so I got my Taylor test kit on 7-20-15. Now on Sunday I had went into the pool to get some debris out and I went under and the water was cloudy. So this lead me to believe it was algae. I haven't had the iron tested yet.

**Weather has been significantly hot since 7-19-15 - 85-95 degrees out and very high humidity ; supposed to remain the same through out the week **

7-20-15 - 4PM

CYA - 60 PPM
FC - 22.5 PPM ~ Shock level aiming for is 24 FC
CC = 0
TA: 60PPM
3130 PPM Salt Test (via HTH Salt Strip Test; all other measurements were obtained using Taylor test kit)

I added 121 oz of Clorox 8.25% Bleach ~ thinking algae at this point...maybe yellow mustard not sure.

7-21-15 - 8:30AM

FC = 25 PPM
CC = 0
*Cleaned filter cartridge ( have been doing daily and sometimes twice daily)
Added another 121 oz Clorox 8.25% Bleach ~ it seemed slightly clearer in the morning plus I knew the sunny / hot / humid weather would make the algae worse and burn off alot of FC

7-21-15 - 9:50PM

FC = 28.5 PPM
CYA = 50 PPM - Should I add 2 lbs of CYA to a sock and let hang off the side in the pool ?
7.6 PH -
TA = 100 PPM

I do see the water getting slightly clearer and it wasn't as aqua color. But my numbers are now jumping around. So now I am a bit more confused. I probably should have had my water tested for Iron first but seeing cloudy underwater convinced me it was algae. Acck ! I don't know now. Should I continue shocking ? Thank you so much !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.