Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rain & slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

rain & slamming

Well, I thought I was getting close to ending the slam & did my reading last night with high hopes! At 3 AM storms began & it is still pouring rain. I have to walk a ways to get to the pool since our back deck has it's own set of issues-namely no steps right now. So I have not ventured out to do a reading this AM. Thoughts? I've read on here that the rain will probably not mess up the water as much as many people think, but should I get wet & go take readings today or leave it alone until it stops raining?
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: rain & slamming

The rain should not affect it much. However it is important a to test as often as you can and keep FC at or slightly above SLAM level
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Right, the concern isn't so much about what the rain is doing to the pool but more about keeping the FC at shock level as much as possible.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It's unclear to me if you are asking should you continue to SLAM or were you trying to perform an OCLT?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the main reason rain messes up pool chemistry is the fact that pool owners don't go out and maintain the pool -- for fear of getting wet, I guess ��

In other words, don't neglect the poor thing just because it's raining today.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, thanks. I just did a test at 12:15 PM. My FC is 10.5, CC is 0. Pool is still pretty clear, albeit full since we had about 2" of rain last night. I'm going to add appropriate amount of bleach as soon as I post this. So when should I test for CYA? I've been assuming my level has been at target of 40 since that's the amount I put in per pool math. It finally completely dissolved on Friday. TIA!
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri