aqua plus salt system not chlorinating pool.

Jul 17, 2015
fults
i have a 40 gallon pool,
my t cell 15 is on its third year and so is the whole pool and system. salt system worked fine first two years. operated the system at 50 percent 16 hours per day.

this season the pool is not holding chlorine, or the salt system is failing .
I have had the cell checked at a leisure pool store (cell is operating)and another local pool store and the water is in the parameter.
salt is at 3200
hardness 200
ph 7.5
alk 90
cya 80
phosphates are almost at 0.

I have been around pools my entire life, am closing in on 60. this is my first salt system.
The tech at hayward has told me that the system is working fine. He says it has to be the pool water chemistry. I told him about the two tests and he says it has to be the pool water chemistry. My three year warranty has only one month left on it. I asked the tech if i have the water tested by a third pool testing establishment and the water is correct could the equipment be malfunctioning. His answer was no. So at this point my I am totally confused. It has to be one are the other. water or equipment. my water is crystal clear and there isn't any presence of algae. I have shocked the pool twice since June 1st. Any ideas?
:paddle:

Welcome! :wave:

Turn the SWG on full blast and collect a sample directly from one of the returns and test it. If FC is higher than the FC level in the pool generally, it's working.

If it's working and you're not losing FC to the sun because of the CYA levels, then there is something - impending algae bloom - consuming the FC as fast as it can be generated. The absolute test for this is the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) To do it right, you need to manually add bleach to get up above 10 FC and allow it ample time to mix well, then take a FC reading after sunset and take another before sunrise and see how much you lost, if any. To do so accurately requires a FAS-DPD test.

Nearly every post about SWG not making chlorine is really an algae problem. When algae first starts you can't see it. The first sign of algae is higher chlorine consumption and filter clogging, then cloudy, then slimy and then green pool. If your pool spends some time with FC level below minimum level on the Chlorine CYA Chart then algae is pretty much guaranteed. As Richard says perform the OCLT to verify. The diagnostics onboard in SWGs are usually accurate and if your SWG was unhappy about something it would say so and there would be a red light somewhere.

Thanks Richard 320, pooklv and JamesW. I will try the test you mentioned (oclt) FASDPD test. I do not believe that there is an algae problem because this have been a month long problem . But, I will always try anything to see if it is algae. Something is not right and anything help you give is greatly appreciated. When I test the water from the return directly I am getting a chlorine reading. I will take those samples and pool samples to another pool tester and see what the results are. Pooklv, the onboard computer diagnostics isnt bringing up any failures,, high salt , low salt, over heating or anything like that. Thank you for your quick responses and I will do the tests and come back with the results . Thanks again.

The other thing no one has mentioned (I'm really surprised) is that you're using pool store results for diagnosis...You really should consider getting a test from James's sig...it's the only way to be sure where you are in terms of chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.