Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: aqua plus salt system not chlorinating pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Post aqua plus salt system not chlorinating pool.

i have a 40 gallon pool,
    my t cell 15 is on its third year and so is the whole pool and system. salt system worked fine first two years. operated the system at 50 percent 16 hours per day.

this season the pool is not holding chlorine, or the salt system is failing .
    I have had the cell checked at a leisure pool store (cell is operating)and another local pool store and the water is in the parameter.
    salt is at 3200
    hardness 200
    ph 7.5
    alk 90
    cya 80
    phosphates are almost at 0.

I have been around pools my entire life, am closing in on 60. this is my first salt system.
    The tech at hayward has told me that the system is working fine. He says it has to be the pool water chemistry. I told him about the two tests and he says it has to be the pool water chemistry. My three year warranty has only one month left on it. I asked the tech if i have the water tested by a third pool testing establishment and the water is correct could the equipment be malfunctioning. His answer was no. So at this point my I am totally confused. It has to be one are the other. water or equipment. my water is crystal clear and there isn't any presence of algae. I have shocked the pool twice since June 1st. Any ideas?
    40 k gallon pool, aqua plus hayward salt system with t cell 15. st louis area.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: aqua plus salt system not chlorinating pool.

Welcome!

Turn the SWG on full blast and collect a sample directly from one of the returns and test it. If FC is higher than the FC level in the pool generally, it's working.

If it's working and you're not losing FC to the sun because of the CYA levels, then there is something - impending algae bloom - consuming the FC as fast as it can be generated. The absolute test for this is the Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) To do it right, you need to manually add bleach to get up above 10 FC and allow it ample time to mix well, then take a FC reading after sunset and take another before sunrise and see how much you lost, if any. To do so accurately requires a FAS-DPD test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Go to settings and turn on superchlorinate. Then go to diagnostics and see what that says.

Is the 3200 salt reading from the box or an independent test?

4. Back To Top    #4

Nearly every post about SWG not making chlorine is really an algae problem. When algae first starts you can't see it. The first sign of algae is higher chlorine consumption and filter clogging, then cloudy, then slimy and then green pool. If your pool spends some time with FC level below minimum level on the Chlorine CYA Chart then algae is pretty much guaranteed. As Richard says perform the OCLT to verify. The diagnostics onboard in SWGs are usually accurate and if your SWG was unhappy about something it would say so and there would be a red light somewhere.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard 320, pooklv and JamesW. I will try the test you mentioned (oclt) FASDPD test. I do not believe that there is an algae problem because this have been a month long problem . But, I will always try anything to see if it is algae. Something is not right and anything help you give is greatly appreciated. When I test the water from the return directly I am getting a chlorine reading. I will take those samples and pool samples to another pool tester and see what the results are. Pooklv, the onboard computer diagnostics isnt bringing up any failures,, high salt , low salt, over heating or anything like that. Thank you for your quick responses and I will do the tests and come back with the results . Thanks again.

6. Back To Top    #6

The other thing no one has mentioned (I'm really surprised) is that you're using pool store results for diagnosis...You really should consider getting a test from James's sig...it's the only way to be sure where you are in terms of chemistry.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

7. Back To Top    #7

gilbee, james's sig... , not sure what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

3200 is the diagnostic value in my aqua plus read out

8. Back To Top    #8

He means in this signature line is a link to test kits.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bill350 View Post
    gilbee, james's sig... , not sure what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

3200 is the diagnostic value in my aqua plus read out

JamesW has a link in his signature to TFTestKits...I was being lazy and not putting it in my post

TFTestkits.net
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

10. Back To Top    #10

ok thanks.