Ideas for safety cover anchors behind raised wall

chinatti

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi forum-

We are doing a pool renovation this fall, including replacing (and expanding) the pool deck. Currently we have an aggregate deck, but are looking at either stamped concrete or pavers for the new deck. Our safety cover anchors drilled into the aggrerate deck for ~3/4 of the pool edge, but have a raised wall (approx 45 feet long) along one edge of the pool that currently has mulch beds / plantings in it. Here's a pic:

raised_wall_small.jpg

The anchors along the raised wall are currently ?aluminum? tubes with anchors that we manually drive into the mulched bed area in the fall with a mallet. This has never worked very well, the tubes slide out, the cover pulls them, etc.

Since we are redoing the deck, we are hoping to get a better anchoring system installed. If we go with stamped concrete, the plan is to pour a 18-24" strip behind the raised wall and drill some anchors into this. We'd cover this with a light layer of mulch. However, if we go with pavers, then the concrete gets expensive because it's a small amount, and less than the typical minimums for a concrete truck.

I understand there are some cabling / anchor systems that you can drill into the side of a raised wall, but some of the pool builders I've spoken to have said that these systems don't work well, can damage tile, etc. Also, this would necessitate a new cover because of the different dimensions.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any other clever ideas for anchoring the cover in this case. One possibility is some sonotubes - but there would be a *lot* of those if I needed a sonotube for each anchor point. It seems like there should be some sort of way to dig a few sonotubes, and then run some sort of (removable) cable / tubing / etc between them that I could use to attach the anchors - sort of like the cabling systems that go into the wall, but up on the raised wall.

Has anyone seen or come up with any creative solutions for this kind of pool before?

Thanks in advance.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.