Upgrading pool equipment

Jul 19, 2015
Rescue, CA
Hi everyone,
My name is Mark and I have been reading this forum for several hours now and am very happy with all of the information I'm getting. Wow! It's awesome.
So....here goes....bare with me...
I am upgrading my pool (we just bought a house that had practically no maintenance for many many years and am re-doing practically everything and now I'm tackling some pool stuff).
The pool:
I'm guessing about 30,000 gallons, plaster with attached spa and shared equipment.
2 skimmers. The deep end skimmer is connected to a floor drain and the shallow end skimmer has a wall "drain?" The skimmers are 2" pipes at the pad with a diverter valve between them to alter flow between them.
The spa has 2 drains in the floor and either 4 or 6 jets. I'll check tomorrow. The drains are 2.5" at the pad. One goes to a 2hp pump and returns to the jets. It looks like it's a closed system separate from filter but I don't know for sure. At the pad it doesn't connect to the filter side but I don't know enough to know if it would connect underground somewhere. The other 2.5" drain from spa goes to a valve in front of a 2hp filter pump. The valve diverts from either spa or skimmers or both.
After The filter pump is a large jandy cartridge filter to a huge propane heater to a valve that selects pool or spa return. Looks like 2" returns on both.
There was also a 1hp booster pump for a Polaris sweeper. I disconnected and capped the 1.25" pipes and am running a dolphin premier robot.
I purchased a pentair vs 3hp pump and will hook that up in place of the 2hp filter pump.
The old Jandy i8000 aqualink had some relay problems and was old so I upgraded to a new intellichoice i7 with chlorinator transformer (for future upgrade to chlorinator).
I've got so many questions and I'm sure I haven't given you guys enough info so if you are willing to help me out please feel free to ask me anything. :)
1. Do I need to have a way to regulate flow from the 2 skimmers? Can I just plumb them without a valve? If needed, can I just use ball valves on each pipe seperately?
2. Can I dispense with the 2hp spa jet pump and plumb those lines into the filter pump with actuator valves? Then when I want the spa I select a macro that diverts water down the correct paths and spins the pump at a higher rate? That way I could have less equipment.
3. How do I add air bubbles to the spa or is it possible?
I can come up with more questions, but I'll just start with these.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,
Welcome to TFP! you've come to the right place for sure.

Im not much of an expert on the spa, but Im sure I can can comment on a couple of other items.
Good deal on going with that VS pump.

For the skimmers, You can plumb them directly without a valve, there is not operational requirement to have a valve, but you limit yourself. I would recomend to have a valve for each skimmer at the equipment pad. You never know if in the future you will need to shut one down, for whaever reason. Also recommend to NOT use ball valves. Use a Jandy never-lube valve for all of your manually actuated valves.

I believe you can plump the spa into the larger 3HP pump, but I would prefer one of our experts with more knowledge of spas chime in on that.

Air bubbles in the spa are caused by a "blower". One of the spa experts can tell you more about that too.

enjoy!

Thanks Divin Dave! I think I'll plumb in a 3 port Jandy valve like was there before. I worry about someone turning off both valves from the skimmer at the same time and the potential for problems due to someone accidentally turning both individual valves off is too great (we've got 6 kids at home and every one of them knows everything! Lol)
Thanks for the quick response. :)

Ok. For everyone who has been dying to hear about how many jets are in many spa so you can help me here it is: 4 jets in the spa pump and 2 jets on the spa return from the filter pump. So it seems feasible to run those all off of the variable speed pump. Is it advisable?? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

Sure, my Pentair 3 HP VS pump could run that easily. It makes my pool wavy with 6 returns on 2500 rpm, max rpm is 3450. I normally run my pool 1100 to 1500 rpm.

Advantages are you can adjust the waterflow to whatever you want and the lower it is the cheaper it is to run the pump.

My pump draws 150watts at 1100rpm and 550 watts at 1950rpm running filter and solar panels.

That's awesome pooldv! So if I program some valves I can feasibly bring 2 drains in parallel to the filter pump then 2 returns to the spa in parallel and out should work fine. I'll adjust the Rom until I get what "feels" good. Am I forgetting anything? Am I asking for trouble?
Another question: can I use older jandy valve actuators with the new pentair intellichoice controller?
Thanks!
Mark

the intelliflow should easily handle what you're describing. That is a beast of a pump. It can flat out move some water! Love mine!

I dont know anything about automation. Too many things break and give me a headache, so Im afraid I cant give you any advice on the actuators connected to a intellichoice.

That's awesome pooldv! So if I program some valves I can feasibly bring 2 drains in parallel to the filter pump then 2 returns to the spa in parallel and out should work fine. I'll adjust the Rom until I get what "feels" good. Am I forgetting anything? Am I asking for trouble?
Another question: can I use older jandy valve actuators with the new pentair intellichoice controller?
Thanks!
Mark

Thanks for the input. I ended up hooking the plumbing up the way it was previously. The new intelliflo vs pump, load center, and screen logic are all now working awesomely! The pump is using so much less electricity it's amazing. Using it at 1500rpm and about 240 watts throughout the night to filter everything. 2500rpm and about 560 watts with the waterfall on. Its great. Ran it for a couple days with a bunch of liquid chlorine and tested last night:
Fc:3
Cc:0
pH:7.2
Alk:90
Ch:260
Water is super clear like it hasn't been since we got the place last October.
Now to tackle the old raypak rp2100 heater that doesn't work. Maybe I'll just get a new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.