Replacement System for Sta-Rite system 3 w/ cartridge filters

sandyb

Apr 18, 2015
Granada Hills, Ca
I have recently purchased a home with a 22,500 gallon in ground pool ( no spa ) that has a Sta-Rite System 3 (pressure side cleaner ) with a Polaris 380 (recently replaced )
I have had trouble keeping the pool in good condition as I am only there on weekends, and the daily temperature has been running around 106 - 108 daily.
I just received my my most current Edison Bill and it was $107.00 for the month.
I would like to upgrade and replace, but have no clue where to start. Can I use the original plumbing?
What are my best options? variable speed pump? whole system?
The system went online in July of 1999 and everything is original .
The cartridge filters are shot.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sandy

The system 3 is a good filter and it'll be cheaper to replace the cartridges than to replace the whole filter. Also, the filter isn't causing the problem you're having.

Replacing the pump with a 2-speed or variable speed would be a good idea. Where you're located there may be incentives for replacing it.

How is the pool chlorinated? If it's tablet feeder you probably have high cya.

Bama Rambler.....I am located in Southern California and we are covered by So Cal Edison and they do offer incentives for upgrading. I have basically bee using chlorine shock and 3" tabs..not sure if I should be using liquid chlorine? This is my first time maintaining ( or trying to ) a pool.
Thanks, Sandy

Hi Sandy. Bama is right. That filter is a good one. Just replace the cartridges. I used to live in the SFV also. A VSP is the way to go, and except for the piping around the pump, the rest of the plumbing should be sufficient There are lots of pool companies around Granada Hills. Shop around for a good price for the pump and install.

One thing you can do is change the pressure side cleaner to a suction side cleaner or a robot if it's feasible. That will probably save you a little.

Do you leave the cleaner in the pool all the time?
How often does the cleaner run?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.