Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can AquaRite be remotely controlled by Omnilogic?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can AquaRite be remotely controlled by Omnilogic?

The Hayward Omnilogic controller only supports one T-cell directly. The largest T-15 can chlorinate up to 40K gallons and I have a larger pool so I have a separate AquaRite controller installed for the second T-Cell. The AquaRite is currently wired so that it comes on when the main pool pump is on. However, I notice that the Aquarite can be remotely controlled (there's an LED and screw terminal for it) over a 4-wire communication link. I also see multiple available screw terminals on the Omnilogic with the same Green, Yellow, Black, Red wire interfaces. Does anyone know if the Aqualink can be remotely controlled by the Omnilogic? Does anyone have details of the 4-wire communication link (is it RS-232 or 485 or something proprietary)?
    53K Gallon Plaster in-ground with ALL Hayward equipment including Omnilogic Automation, Phantom Turbo Cleaner, SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Heater, Dual T-15 Salt cells. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can AquaRite be remotely controlled by Omnilogic?

Yes, the AquaRite can be connected to the OmniLogic as a slave. Use standard outdoor rated 4 wire for the connections to the two systems via the Green, Yellow, Black and Red wires on both systems. The AquaRite will need to have the jumper removed so it acts as a secondary. Once it is removed, the desired output will no longer work on the AquaRite Controller and will then be controlled by the OmniLogic as the Primary.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the great info. I didn't see anything in the Omnilogic configuration for a secondary Chlorinator. Will the Aquarite be automatically detected or is there something I need to do in the config?

53K Gallon Plaster in-ground with ALL Hayward equipment including Omnilogic Automation, Phantom Turbo Cleaner, SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Heater, Dual T-15 Salt cells. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speedstir.

4. Back To Top    #4

It should be automatically detected. Remember to remove the small black jumper on the main aquarite board to designate it as being remotely controlled.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm going to try this today. When the AquaRite is configured as a secondary and is being remotely controlled, will the POWER and GENERATING LED's still function? How will I be able to tell that the Omnilogic is controlling the AquaRite and that the T-CELL is being energized?

6. Back To Top    #6

REMOTELY CONTROLLED When illuminated, indicates that a remote pool automation control
    (Hayward Pro Logic, Pentair Intellitouch, Polaris Eos, etc.) is controlling the Aqua Rite--the
    main switch and "Desired Output %" adjustment are inactive. When flashing, the Pro Logic,
    Intellitouch or Eos is in SERVICE or TIME-OUT mode and the Main Switch and "Desired Output
    %" adjustment are active.
    The power and generating light should be on. The diagnostic readings will tell you if it's working.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just tried it. Connected 4 wires from the Omnilogic to the AquaRite. Made sure there was voltage (I measured 11.7 VDC) across the Green and Red wires. Removed the black jumper, but the "Remotely Controlled" LED on the Aquarite never came on. It looks like there should be RS-485 communication on the yellow and black wires but I don't think the Omnilogic knows the Aqualink is there.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is the power light on?
    What are the diagnostics?
    Have you used the configuration wizard to enable salt chlorination?
    Are you sure that you removed the correct jumper?

9. Back To Top    #9

The Aquarite behaves exactly as it did before. The main switch and "desired output %" still work. The Power light is on and diagnostics are the same as before. The jumper I removed is directly behind the display board and is labeled "PRI" and "SEC", so I think it's the right one. On the Omnilogic, I have Salt Chlorination enabled, but it only allows me to define one relay and one T-cell, which is the one connected directly to it. There is nothing I can find in the config wizard to tell it to control a remote Aquarite or T-cell.

10. Back To Top    #10

Try putting the jumper back on.

11. Back To Top    #11

I appreciate the help. I'll post any updates if I get it figured out.

12. Back To Top    #12

I think that the jumper needs to be on. The jumper is removed if controlling a second aquarite.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'll give it a try. I'll also set the name back to AL-0 (had it set to AL-1) and see what happens.

14. Back To Top    #14

I tried it. Unfortunately, same results with or without the jumper . I'll have to wait to get in touch with Hayward. Thanks again for the help.

15. Back To Top    #15

I contacted Hayward support and here is the response I got:

--------
    At this time the Omni Logic does not have the
    ability to control an external chlorinator such as the Aqua Rite. The
    Omni Logic can only control power to it at this time via relay
    control.
    Regards,
    XXX. Ext: 7695

Hayward Technical Services
    One Hayward Industrial Drive
    Clemmons, NC (USA) 27012
    908-355-7995
    ---------

The "at this time" part gives some hope that they will be supporting this sometime in the future.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, thanks for the update. Their previous automation could do it, so it seems odd that a successor product would lack the ability