intex sand filter problem

Jun 16, 2015
Clarksville
We upgraded the pump that came with our pool to a intex krystal clear sand filter pump to go with our Intex SWG. It has been working really well, have had some hiccups, but nothing we weren't able to fix. Mainly the skimmer attachment wouldn't stay down and would pop up and suck air into the line. Finally got the idea to use an ankle weight (it wraps around and has an adjustable strap) on the hose under the skimmer and that has done the job beautifully. Anyway, our pump isn't pulling in the water like it was. No suction for the skimmer, there's output, but not strong. Backwashed and rinsed, same thing. Have it on recirculate now and it's doing great. But I know that bypasses the filter. Do I need to take a look at the sand? The humidity here is unbearable, heat index around 105. Don't know why I threw that out there, but there it is. Any advice is appreciated.

If the flow is good on recirculate and lousy on filter, it's the filter. If a backwash didn't cure it, it's time to open it up and see what's what. It could just be filthy. A deep cleaning will fix that. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

But I do have to ask if you've used any clarifiers or flocculents or any of those handy 4-in-1 products they sell. They may have
glued the sand into rocks.

It just happened overnight, but it was running for over 24 hours. We will look in the filter today. I'm just so pleased that the water is crystal clear and has been since putting it up. I did use a clarifier last week, the suggestion on the directions was to add it to the skimmer slowly, which I did. Do y'all have any suggestions? Can't keep the free chlorine levels up. Any suggestions on that? We've been using the Clorox saltwater products. The PH Reducer worked really well, now it's too low. Thanks for all the help, I've learned so much from reading posts.

Do y'all have any suggestions?
Yes. Bluntly, you are throwing a bunch of junk in your pool that you do not need and don't want. It is lightening your wallet and weighing down your filter.

Take charge of your water management by staying out of the pool store and learning to do your own testing and adding. Your wallet and your filter will bot appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.