Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex sand filter problem

1. Back To Top    #1

intex sand filter problem

We upgraded the pump that came with our pool to a intex krystal clear sand filter pump to go with our Intex SWG. It has been working really well, have had some hiccups, but nothing we weren't able to fix. Mainly the skimmer attachment wouldn't stay down and would pop up and suck air into the line. Finally got the idea to use an ankle weight (it wraps around and has an adjustable strap) on the hose under the skimmer and that has done the job beautifully. Anyway, our pump isn't pulling in the water like it was. No suction for the skimmer, there's output, but not strong. Backwashed and rinsed, same thing. Have it on recirculate now and it's doing great. But I know that bypasses the filter. Do I need to take a look at the sand? The humidity here is unbearable, heat index around 105. Don't know why I threw that out there, but there it is. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex sand filter problem

If the flow is good on recirculate and lousy on filter, it's the filter. If a backwash didn't cure it, it's time to open it up and see what's what. It could just be filthy. A deep cleaning will fix that. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

But I do have to ask if you've used any clarifiers or flocculents or any of those handy 4-in-1 products they sell. They may have
    glued the sand into rocks.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Backwashed for how long?
    Did the problem come slowly or acute?
    Sand fi!ters are easily opened so take a look.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

It just happened overnight, but it was running for over 24 hours. We will look in the filter today. I'm just so pleased that the water is crystal clear and has been since putting it up. I did use a clarifier last week, the suggestion on the directions was to add it to the skimmer slowly, which I did. Do y'all have any suggestions? Can't keep the free chlorine levels up. Any suggestions on that? We've been using the Clorox saltwater products. The PH Reducer worked really well, now it's too low. Thanks for all the help, I've learned so much from reading posts.
    We have an Intex above ground 14x42 ultra frame pool with an intex saltwater system.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do y'all have any suggestions?
    Yes. Bluntly, you are throwing a bunch of junk in your pool that you do not need and don't want. It is lightening your wallet and weighing down your filter.

Take charge of your water management by staying out of the pool store and learning to do your own testing and adding. Your wallet and your filter will bot appreciate it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Do the deep cleaning. And gently probe down into the sand with the hose nozzle or a broomstick to break up any clods. But don't get too forceful, lest you damage one of the laterals.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!