Why are my hoses popping off?

spylab

Jun 29, 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
My pool was put together last season and ran wonderfully. I have been running the pump 24/7 for about a week now to kill algae but have run into some problems with hoses popping loose. At first I assumed I just needed to tighten the hose clamp but it would not tighten anymore and it had a little rut so I replaced it. All was well for a few days then a different hose came loose. Again I replaced the hose clamp. Today my son checked all the connections for me to assure they were tight. Tonight I went out to add more bleach and the first hose had come off again pumping water all over the yard again. So this time it was a new clamp and fully tightened, what is causing the problem? My sand filter does not have a pressure gauge but it has been backwashed daily while clearing the pool. I was hoping to pass the OCLT last night but did not. Still have a few little pieces of what I assume is algae that settles on the bottom. This plumbing problem keeps causing set backs in the algae war and I would really like to swim this year :-(

Attachments

• pool pump.jpg
    pool pump.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 79
We had to hard plumb our equipment to keep the hoses on. We switched to PVC with valve and unions to stop water from coming out of the pool and to be able to do work on the pump and filter as needed.

Those hoses will get brittle fast and start leaking and as you have found will come loose for no reason! Save your self a lot of heart ache and trouble and get some PVC, valves, unions. You will love it!

Kim

There was probably more than one similar topic here. If you need here and now solution, use dry isopropyl alcohol, wipe inside the hose, outside of the fitting till it is dry, and if you prefer, double clamp. Then if you so desire, plan for PVC etc. In fact I would not go for permanent glued thing, if it is AGP, hoses easily disconnect and can be stored, and so can the pump which makes it live longer. And in some situations rigidity is not your friend.
Hoses should be changed every three years in my experience, they do get brittle.

True.

Now here's what I had to do - in an AGP I needed to waste water below skimmer level. With my pump connected by hoses I lifted if on top of the dog house, put the suction hose right in the pool, primed it from a garden hose and it went well (I was not in possession of a longer hose, had to use the one that was there so had to lift the pump). Had it been unionized....would it be as simple?

I just put vacuum head in pool and start siphon. Nothing to disconnect.
+1
My AGP is hard plumbed with unions and ball valves to isolate the pump and filter. When I need to drain I use the skimmer cuff from my Ranger pool cleaner to plug the vacuum hose into the skimmer hole. It makes an airtight seal and the vacuum head draws off the bottom of the pool so I can pump as low as I need. When I first came to TFP I had to do a couple of 50% drains to bring down the high CYA in my pool. You can buy the skimmer cuff separately.

Removing a hose now and again is ok, but if you do it often you are more likely to stretch the cuff on the hose which can lead to leaks, blown hoses, and cracked fittings due to over tightening.

To get back on topic, Spylab could you post a picture of the multiport valve on your filter from all 4 sides? I looked your filter up and it should have a pressure gauge. Maybe the opening for yours is plugged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. With Doughboy pool the flow rate will be cut in four if you use the port. Yes you can simply connect it to the pump directly (same as I did with mine) and tie a brick to it so it sinks. But the vacuum port adaptor is half the diameter.

+1
4c1b77d6710b3979b53ee7e4bb313b74.jpg
cc0e659745a8353447cd0400553b79be.jpg
6c426e8ebd31405771554ed0f1fd1cc6.jpg
4a9b1dbee0ab9f3922e9c266b1271f40.jpg
5524af4e3c5ddc4bc24e6805c9ef0f90.jpg

To get back on topic, Spylab could you post a picture of the multiport valve on your filter from all 4 sides? I looked your filter up and it should have a pressure gauge. Maybe the opening for yours is plugged.
Sorry I disappeared that happens the week before my next IgG infusion. Here is my filter and I circled where I suspect a gauge could go but it appears to be molded in one piece? I appreciate the plumbing tips. I am thinking of going with flex PVC it is above ground and the plumbing is under my deck. Since I last posted I have not been able to run my system, the pump ran dry and will not start. It was a temporary pump sent while I waited for my 2 speed that I should get installed in the next day or two.... Lucky for me to still have a brand new pump sitting around[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.