Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Cartridge Filter Leaking At Base

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy Cartridge Filter Leaking At Base

I cleaned our pool filter for the first time yesterday, and put the cartridge back together exactly as it was. However, today I see a stream of water coming out from under the cartridge. Not sure what is causing this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy Cartridge Filter Leaking At Base

Either your filter housing is cracked, the V band not tightened properly, or the drain plug not screwing in correctly.

Check those and see what may be affecting your filter. What model filter do you have?
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

3. Back To Top    #3

If it happens after something you did it is unlikely a crack, most probably what Jrs said, you did not reassembled it right.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

im going to bump this thread as i have the same problem. i just cleaned out my whole cartridge assembly, reassembled it - turned the pump on with the air valve opened and the canister was solid, but i have a SLOW leak on the drain. could i have overtightened it? i really didn't go crazy on it. how tight should it be? don't think its cracked but of course i don't know for sure. this is the first time i've cleaned it - dang it was FILTHY! edit: reading more posts, JasonLion posted a while back that a non-hardening teflon paste on fittings larger than 1.5" is better than the tape - i tried the tape and it was a big fail - would that solution work on a drain?
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

5. Back To Top    #5

The first couple of times I removed the drain plug in my Pentair cartridge filter it leaked. I had to tighten it quite a bit more than I expected and it stopped leaking. My drain plug has an o-ring, no thread sealers should be used with an o-ring.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to reassemble the filter slowly and carefully. I don't use my drain plug I bail (actually 11 year old daughter bails). So take it apart again. Put it back together really tighten the drain plug all slowly and carefully. On my third time it did not leak.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

There is no O ring, it's a plastic screw on cap, I ended up looking for and finding a non hardening Teflon sealant I brushed on. Last nght it didn't stop the leak once it pressurized....I still had a slow drip. Didnt drip when punp wasnt on. This afternoon it stopped leaking though. Maybe it just needed some time to set or something. So as of now, it seems okay. I'm going to bail it next time, seems like a pita but would eliminate any future leak issues. Thanks guys!