Where to put pool lights

Jan 20, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hello,

We're currently really close to getting started on our pool dig, and have one final open before we can begin. Where to put the pool light? If you look at the picture below, the yellow dash is where our pool designer placed the one light for the pool. My wife is concerned that if she's swimming laps, she'd be swimming 'into the light'. We talked to the builder, and he said if we put lights on the side, we'd need two of them to get adequate coverage. He also said that we could do a single light on the angled portion of the pool that would also work, but this would be pointing toward the house.

So what would you guys recommend?
yellow is the current light as it is now
the two red are the proposed modification
the purple dash is the pool builder's work around to relocate the light out of the 'swim channel'.

If none of those, do you have another suggestion?

Thanks!
Untitled.jpg

Welcome to TFP! I don't know much (actually nothing! Lol) about pool lights, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out. Personally, I would go for the 2 on the side, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help.

Two light on the house side. They will be pointing at the waterfalls on the other side, not in the swim lane, not pointing at the house. You can put on on that wall closer to the tanning ledge in the pool and a pretty light pole on the outside of the pool by the hot tub.

Kim

I find swimming toward or away from the light ok.
Reason being you a not looking forward, you are looking down or to the side when freestyling.
You are looking forward but above the water when breaststroking.

That said, if this is a single LED colorchanging light, one will not be enough from either end.
The red scenario will give the best 'show'.
You will get great backscatter and reflection off the farside of pool.
The only spot that will have a slight shadow is off the side of the steps down fron the sunshelf.

I would do the 2 you show in red and a shallow depth one on the ledge/steps for a total of 3 lights.

Nice Pool!!!

I agree with Carnut. I'm not sure what the dimensions of your pool are, but my first impression would be to put (2) where you proposed in red. One sun shelf led pointing the same direction and another in the spa pointing the same direction.

If this is all Pentair equipment you'd need:
- 2 intellibrite color led for the pool
- 1 intellibrite color led spa light
- 1 globrite color led for the sunshelf

Thats the exact same configuration I have in my pool...

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. The pool builder has come back and now proposes two color LEDs in the locations shown below. The one in the middle of the pool is a 'big' light, and the one on the steps is smaller. Thoughts?

Untitled1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 193

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let me understand the topology.
The shelf is 6-8" deep?
The shallow end 3-1/2'?
That light on the sunshelf is going to have a real bright spot on the shelf, and a shadow over the shallows.
The single large light will not spread enough light laterally to give you a reasonable illumination.

The "best" solution is the one proposed by spool. You need two lights facing away from the house. An additional small light on the sun shelf is better. One in the spa is good too.

I don't like to swim into a light . Your pool is large enough that it needs two lights.

The lights shining away from house and to key accents you may want to highlight seems best. I found my first pool the light in that position was close to the patio sitting area and we had constant bugs diving to the light and close to our sitting area. The pool we have now is light on opposite side to help draw the bugs away from where we gather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.