Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st time SLAM - New algae!!

1. Back To Top    #1

1st time SLAM - New algae!!

I'm trying to slam our pool to take out some algae that just started. Having trouble using the pool math calculator to figure out how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add...
    We're using liquid chlorine 2.5 gallon jug that's 10.5% active chlorine. What number to put in next to weight/trade box that you can't type in?? Is that where the percentage of bleach goes? Also, there isn't an option in the drop down jug size for the 2.5 gallon jug we have? Is this a problem?

Test results are as follows for our SWG pool:

CYA - 53
    FC - 1
    PH - about 7.6 - we dosed the pool to bring this level close to 7.2. Will probably be slightly above since we ran out of acid (but it will definitely be below 7.5)

Just trying to figure out how much chlorine to add - thanks!

Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, algae is visible - looks light yellow-brown colored. We haven't been keeping a good eye on the SWG and how it's doing apparently, and trying to run it shorter amounts per day. It's coating the sides and part of the bottom of the pool. Nothing floating that I can see - so probably not too serious...yet! I'd like to start soon though on the slam.
    Legacy AG soft-sided pool (13'x21'x52"), 7,400 gallons I think?? (not sure how to determine this for sure...I've used poolmath but the pool is slightly irregular we have found), Pooline sand filter, 1 horsepower/1 speed pump, Pool installed within the last week and finished filling 4/26/15, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, & Splash a Round Pools Leisure automatic vac. 1st time pool owner wanting to avoid the pool stores!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st time SLAM - New algae!!

Hello! Yes, in the weight/percentage (white) box, you can type any percentage you need (i.e. 10.5%). On the drop-down for container size however, you may need to get creative.

For example: We know 128 fluid oz = 1 gallon. So you should be able to just adjust accordingly ...I hope.

With a CYA of 50, you'll want a "TARGET" FC of 20. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

When you start your SLAM, turn off the SWG to safe cell life. Rely solely on liquid bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you read and follow everything you see here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You will notice that when you change the % to 10.5, then the "weight" changes to "Trade" percentage, and the amount of chlorine to add will be correct.

This feature actually was a very recent revision to Pool Math.
    it was discussed here. 15% Sodium Hypochlorite

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaSwimmer View Post
    I'm trying to slam our pool to take out some algae that just started. Having trouble using the pool math calculator to figure out how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add...
    We're using liquid chlorine 2.5 gallon jug that's 10.5% active chlorine. What number to put in next to weight/trade box that you can't type in?? Is that where the percentage of bleach goes? Also, there isn't an option in the drop down jug size for the 2.5 gallon jug we have? Is this a problem?

Test results are as follows for our SWG pool:

CYA - 53
    FC - 1
    PH - about 7.6 - we dosed the pool to bring this level close to 7.2. Will probably be slightly above since we ran out of acid (but it will definitely be below 7.5)

Just trying to figure out how much chlorine to add - thanks!

Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, algae is visible - looks light yellow-brown colored. We haven't been keeping a good eye on the SWG and how it's doing apparently, and trying to run it shorter amounts per day. It's coating the sides and part of the bottom of the pool. Nothing floating that I can see - so probably not too serious...yet! I'd like to start soon though on the slam.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies! I started the slam last night and my husband brushed the pool. We are keeping the pool pump on and the SWG off. So far so good...
    Legacy AG soft-sided pool (13'x21'x52"), 7,400 gallons I think?? (not sure how to determine this for sure...I've used poolmath but the pool is slightly irregular we have found), Pooline sand filter, 1 horsepower/1 speed pump, Pool installed within the last week and finished filling 4/26/15, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear SWG, & Splash a Round Pools Leisure automatic vac. 1st time pool owner wanting to avoid the pool stores!