Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heating via the sun

1. Back To Top    #1

Heating via the sun

I have found that the water will heat quicker by removing the solar cover during sunlight hours and trapping the heat in by replacing it in the evening. The question I have is will it heat "quicker" with the pump on high or low, or not even on?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Heating via the sun

Welcome to TFP! I find that'd the water can circulate it heats more evenly.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally speaking, you get faster heating removing a cover during the day IF you don't have dry air with a lot of evaporation. Otherwise, the heat gain from the sun is cancelled out by the heat loss from evaporation. Using a mostly clear solar cover (or a light blue cover that effectively lets most light and especially infrared through) is even better since it eliminates evaporation but lets most light through to heat the pool. What color and opacity is your cover?

Circulation is better because it distributes the hot water throughout the pool. Otherwise the surface will get warmer and will thermally conduct heat faster back to the air.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Solar covers also reduce evaporative cooling, which depends on wind speed at the water surface. On a windless day, and in direct sunlight, the water heating rate will be similar with/without the cover, but increase the wind speed, and you are better off keeping the cover on to reduce heat loss through evaporation.
    14 x 28 Jacuzzi vinyl inground pool, Jacuzzi Laser 250 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Willfire67 View Post
    I have found that the water will heat quicker by removing the solar cover during sunlight hours and trapping the heat in by replacing it in the evening. The question I have is will it heat "quicker" with the pump on high or low, or not even on?
    Just curious as to what kind of cover you have (e.g. semi transparent blue bubble)?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater