Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Side Cleaner Run Times

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Side Cleaner Run Times

I'm 1 year into being a happy pool owner and still trying to figure things out.

Question about Pressure Side Cleaner run times:

I have a Letro Legend Platinum and have it running everyday for 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon. For the most part the bag is fairly empty.

How long should I run the cleaner?

Does my 2x daily approach make sense?

Should I run it the same amount of time (3 hours) but do it consecutively and not split like I do now?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Side Cleaner Run Times

First welcome to the forum!

The amount you run your cleaner is entirely up to you. It is only about aesthetics and related to your own personal tolerance of "stuff" in the pool.

For the most part the bag is fairly empty.
    More importantly, is it leaving more stuff behind than what it picks up?

As for split time, it probably won't make that much difference. Again, it is only about your personal preference. There is no "right" answer.

I run my cleaner 1 hour per day and it still leaves stuff behind but I expect that and it really doesn't bother me.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Way too many variables to establish a right amount to run a pool cleaner. Size of the pool, depth of pool, amount of debris, size and pressure of the pump, etcetera. What ever is right also depends on pool owner's level of OCD.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I run mine 2 hours at night. I put Xtra large knee high nylons in the bag to grab fine dust and silt.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for all the feedback.

Regarding "cleaning", is there anything more to cleaning the pool with the cleaner other than a visual inspection? In other words, if it sucks up some visible debris (leaves, twigs, etc...), I can see it is working. However, the pool is almost always clean (nothing visible) and the bag needs emptying only once every couple of weeks or so. Does it do any good to run the cleaner when there is no visible debris? The little scrubber on the end of the tail continually wears out and I wonder if I'm running it too often or too long? Is the scrubber at the end of the tail even necessary or helpful?

Thanks again!
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

The cleaner is just to clean up the visible debris and using it is purely optional.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater