Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump maintenance

Hey everyone,

So my pump motor decided to give up mild season. Not sure yet if it's the capacitor or rust. I just shut it off to setup the vacuum and it hums when I turned it back on.

Here's the pump:

Anyways, I'm working on plugging my drains using these new plugs:

Low and behold it fits great for the basket but not for the return jet. Here's the return setup:

I believe there's an insert fitting in there but not sure and I can't get it lose if there is one.

I did find something and have NO idea what it is...lol.

Any ideas?
    Pool Stats: 24" Round Above Ground - Vinyl - 13,500 Gallons | Filter: Hayward Sand S180T | Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix | Testing Kit: TF-100 | Mount Pleasant, Tennessee

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump maintenance

Well I'm going to be waiting til later to go out there and work on it. Just got stung by a wasp. Did you know that they really hurt!
    Pool Stats: 24" Round Above Ground - Vinyl - 13,500 Gallons | Filter: Hayward Sand S180T | Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix | Testing Kit: TF-100 | Mount Pleasant, Tennessee

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't have an answer for you unfortunately but the same thing happened to me last summer with our pump, replacing the capacitor did not fix the problem. Loved having to buy a new pump 3 days before going on vacation
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by eric.mathison View Post
    Well I'm going to be waiting til later to go out there and work on it. Just got stung by a wasp. Did you know that they really hurt!
    The threaded part of your return jet comes out. There should be slots inside it for a key to fit in to unscrew it, then i believe your plug will screw right in.

like this one

G

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If your fitting still doesn't come apart you can always stick a cork, or carrot, or ?? and disconnect the hose from the filter and secure it over the wall of the pool into the water. Not for a long time, and kind of funky but if you haven't got another choice it will work. This would be a last ditch solution to get your pump fixed

6. Back To Top    #6

Well I ended up putting a zip lock bag over the hole and screwed the eye back in. There is quite some suction but it worked! Hopefully I won't need to go fishing for it lol.

7. Back To Top    #7

I know how you feel about the wasp sting. I got one on the nose a few weeks back and boy did it hurt! I may have uttered spurious comments about the parentage of the wasp!

As for the pump, the capacitor is the usual culprit, but I don't believe this model has one. It may have a centrifugal switch instead. Pull off the back cover and see if there is a capacitor behind it. If not, this thread may help you troubleshoot the problem. motor repair advise needed Hayward powerflo sp1580Z2 1.5hp
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Cool I'll check it out. Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

So I took off the back and front parts.

Here is a pic behind the back cover:

There's not much there. Looks like I need to go a bit further in. The good news though, the motor spindle moves freely and easily using a flat head.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

To find out if it's the capacitor you might need some help to turn the motor on and when it's humming try to spin the shaft (that's the if you can do it safely part). If it starts up then it is the start capacitor that's bad.

That chunk of threaded plastic in the wall is part of the "eyeball". The more you tighten the part in your hand to that other part the harder it is to adjust the eyeball.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well there's no capacitor, only a centrifugal switch. I was able to put some lithium grease on the springs to help loosen it. Now it hums for 10 secs then starts up. Woohoo.

However I think I'm on borrowed time and the motor will need to be replaced the next time I turn it off. I guess for the rest of this season, I'll have to eat the electric bill and leave it on 24/7.

This model doesn't look like you can access it. The switch is inside the motor casing and there doesn't look to be away to access the inside of the motor.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Have no idea what this is.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com