Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor running extremely loud

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor running extremely loud

I had replaced my motor at the beginning of this season and it was running great with no issues. However after a bad storm about 2 or 3 weeks ago the water level had risen pretty high in the pool and the timer was set to turn on before I was able to drain some water out, and now the motor is very loud while it's running. Idk if the water level would have something to do with this problem but just noticed it getting louder after that day. It's still circulating the water now.

The pump is a Century 1.5 HP B229SE.
    24k gal, in-ground, vinyl liner, Resilience SCC-25 SWG, 1.5Hp Astral Pool Series 2000 pump, Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump motor running extremely loud

Sounds like a bearing. Did you replace pump seal when you replaced motor?
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

With storms comes debris. I would check the impeller inlet to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller. The water level should not have been an issue unless of course the entire pump motor was underwater.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't replace, it had looked like it was still in good shape so I just reused. But now see that could have been a bad idea if it is in fact a bearing issue. From what I've read on replace the bearings it's pretty time consuming. Is it just easier to get a new motor and seal?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    With storms comes debris. I would check the impeller inlet to see if there is anything stuck in the impeller. The water level should not have been an issue unless of course the entire pump motor was underwater.
    Ok I will pull it apart and see if it could be that. I sure hope it is something that simple anyway! I didn't think the water level would do it but figured I'd mention it since that's when I noticed it.
    24k gal, in-ground, vinyl liner, Resilience SCC-25 SWG, 1.5Hp Astral Pool Series 2000 pump, Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

But a pump seal should always be replaced with a motor change and could easily be the cause of the noise.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater