Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leave salt high to counteract high CA/ balance CSI?

1. Back To Top    #1

leave salt high to counteract high CA/ balance CSI?

I got my first test strips for salt (I don't have a SWG). It was becoming easier to taste in the pool. All my pool math calculations just had the default salt level of 1000 or whatever, and because I have high CA my CSI is always trending high ( I also fight high pH).

The test strip shows around 3400 level for salt. I haven't seen any particular thread about the negative effects of high salt, besides taste, but I did notice that once I put that in pool math, my CSI went to 0.01 (assuming my pH is controlled).

I don't want to drain due to high CYA (hence the TFP method). I don't want to drain due to high CA/scaling issues (auto fill is already post-water softener, but still 800 is kinda high). I don't want to drain due high salt.

So, just kinda checking to make sure this will keep in balance, to leave the higher salt to help reduce scaling due to high CA. And if the water is kinda salty tasting oh well I guess..
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leave salt high to counteract high CA/ balance CSI?

so CH is calcium? that would make more sense as CA for calcium and CH for Chlorine, but I guess I have that wrong...
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

CH is Calcium Hardness. FC, CC or TC is chlorine. Free chlorine, total chlorine, combine chlorine.

3400 salt is not high from a pool salt standpoint. My SWG does not report high salt error until 4500 ppm. But, csi doesn't need to be 0 it needs to be between -0.6 and +0.6. It seems like you are aiming for 0.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The effect of salt on the CSI is relatively small as you've found out. Though it does somewhat balance out the higher CH, the pH and TA parameters are much easier to move and adjust and besides your CSI is close enough to not worry about it. Usually one doesn't see scaling problems until the CSI is much higher -- usually at +0.7 or more in pools (except in a saltwater chlorine generator it is seen even near +0.0 or more).

Higher salt levels corrode metal faster and splash-out can damage soft stone or concrete if there are many evaporation and refill cycles. Those are the only significant downsides to the higher salt level. On the plus side you'll be able to keep your eyes open longer underwater and not get eye irritation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"