Spillover spa question

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hi guys,

I have one that hopefully is easy for most of you guys to help out with :)

I have a spillover spa that obviously is attached to my inground pool. The chemistry in the pool is usually the same as the spa, except when I am running it in spa only mode, and even then I keep the pool suction cracked a bit to deal with water displacement and keep things clean.

Anyway, I leave my pool motor running 24/7. It is always crystal clear and I dont use too much chlorine. I keep my levels pretty much where they should be.

Everything with the pool is fine. Clean, clear, no chlorine smell. the spa looks great. But I guess since the surface area is so much less, you get a pretty strong chlorine smell when you are in there.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Its not terrible, but it is very noticable, and I dont want that chlorine reak getting people sick or giving them headaches.

Thanks a million guys!!!!

That smell means that your CC level is too high. You should post a full set of water test numbers. That will probably show what is going on.

Also, do I understand correctly, that you have the system setup so that the spa is spilling over all of the time that the pump is running?

JasonLion said:
That smell means that your CC level is too high. You should post a full set of water test numbers. That will probably show what is going on.

Also, do I understand correctly, that you have the system setup so that the spa is spilling over all of the time that the pump is running?

Thanks for the quick reply...
I haven't even opened the pool yet this year, so I won't be able to get you numbers yet. This bothered me last year, and Im planning on opening the pool in about 2 weeks, so I figured I would get some advice first.

About the system setup. Its just a typical spillover setup. I just always keep the pool pump running instead of on a timer. I don't find that it adds much to my electric bill, and I know the pool will always be blue :)

But the setup itself has levers for everything. Suction and return. I can do anything I need to. When Im not using the spa, I leave the spillover on all the time, just so the water in the spa is constantly refreshing itself. Plus it looks cool. :mrgreen:
When I do this, I leave everything halfway. So I am getting a spillover effect, but the returns in the pool are also working.

When Im using the spa, I turn the spillover off so the water heats up, but I leave the pool suction / skimmers on just a hair. This way, as people's body weight lowers the spa level, it is always being refilled. Plus, you get some fresh water in there throughout the day.

I've never tested CC levels. I just do the basics like PH, and chlorine. Everything was always good there. The chlorine levels themselves are normally normal to a bit low.

Thanks again for any advice!!!

CC levels tend to go up when the CYA level is too high or the FC level is too low. CC can come out of the water very slowly as a smelly gas, which happens more quickly when the water is full of bubbles from the spa jets. That is why you tend to smell it in the spa. Ideally you want the CC level to be zero.

I strongly recommend getting a top quality test kit. Accurate and complete water test results can help you solve problems like this one, and help you avoid having problems in the first place. I recommend getting a kit from TF Test Kits. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. By spending just a little more on a really good test kit you save money in the long run because you will have a much better idea of which chemicals you need to add and exactly how much, in addition to being able to avoid major problems.

I am by no means an expert infact I am very very green. I have the same setup as you and I have not had a full season yet but as you said the spillover is cool and keeps the spa full of fresh water. When I go to heat up the spa I turn the chlorinator off and it seems to be ok. I too in the beginning experienced high levels of chlorine and indeed did get headaches. Since turning the chlorinator off when in the spa everything seems better. Just have to remember to turn it back on again when you are finished. You say you leave the filter running 24/7. If you had to guess what the electricity per month is what would you say?

I have this problem also. The water doesn't really circulate in the spa. I crack the spa main drain valve and shut off the return to the spa. Draw the water down to just above main drains, then refill the spa from the returns. I do this about once a week. May not be easy if your equpment is a distance from the pool.

I just re-read this old post from a year and a half ago...

Its amazing how clueless I was back then. I mean, Im no expert by any means, but I knew NOTHING. Thankfully you guys dont mind explaining things to us newbs. Your patience is very appreciated!!! :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.