Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool tile replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool tile replacement

We're experiencing problems with the pool tile coming loose from our gunite pool. I had one PB come out and he estimated it would cost about $7000 to replace the tile on a 20 x 40 pool with in-pool hot tub. That estimate is including $1200 tile allowance. He said while not all the tile are loose, enough are to warrant a complete removal. If we want caulking around the pool, it will cost $800 more.
    Does this sound like a fair price? The pool is about 15 years old, so it's probably time to fix the tile.
    Also does any know of a decent repair person who can replace tile in Frederick, MD?
    35,000 gal. IG plaster pool and spa, Hayward Pro S31-T2 sand filter, Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, auto chlorinator (not using), old Purex hi-performance pump
    TF100 and TF1005 test kits, speed spinner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool tile replacement

I suggest that you get several other bids. Don't ask pool builders, who will just farm the work out to others, but ask around for someone that plasters pools. I'm in Texas, so I suspect we are not talking apples to apples, but I recently had two pools redone. One got new coping, new tile, and new pebble plaster and it was right around $7k. The other was just new tile and plain white plaster for $4K. It can't hurt to get more bids..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jim. I never thought of contacting a pool plasterer.
    35,000 gal. IG plaster pool and spa, Hayward Pro S31-T2 sand filter, Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, auto chlorinator (not using), old Purex hi-performance pump
    TF100 and TF1005 test kits, speed spinner

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm looking to do tile and plaster soon also in a 15yr old pool, I agree to check with a pool plaster or renovation company over a company that does mostly new builds.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.